With four swings of the bat, sophomore Jason Christian not only led the Michigan baseball team to an 8-5 win over Oklahoma yesterday, but also set a place for himself in the record books.

Those four swings added up to a cycle for Christian. The last time a Wolverine hit a single, double, triple and home run on the road was in 1976 when Tad Mahas accomplished that feat. No one wearing the maize and blue has hit for the cycle since 1993.

“It’s a phenomenal feat,” Michigan coach Rich Maloney said. “He’ll be in the archives of the history of Michigan baseball forever. It’s something that only happens once every 15 years.”

With the score knotted at four in the fourth, Christian stepped up to the plate. The Loveland, Ohio, native blasted his first career home run. His triple in the ninth, which was also a career first, capped off the cycle.

In the first game of the tournament, Michigan (6-4) held a comfortable two-run lead going into the bottom of the ninth against San Diego. Junior Ben Jenzen took the mound in the final inning to close out the game, but the Toreros (14-8) quickly took advantage of the new pitcher, scoring on senior Jordan Abruzzo’s single to center and a throwing error by Jenzen.

By the time sophomore Adam Abraham relieved Jenzen, all San Diego needed was a single to the left to steal the game from the Wolverines, 7-6.

“We felt like we let it slip away on Friday,” Maloney said. “I think we played a better game than San Diego, but we just let it get away from us at the end.”

Following the heartbreaking loss, Michigan faced the tournament host San Diego State. The Aztecs (12-9) topped a sluggish Wolverine squad 4-1.

But the victory over Oklahoma more than made up for an otherwise downtrodden weekend for Michigan.

“We had our backs against the wall,” Maloney said. “To beat (Oklahoma) when they’re red hot says a lot about our team. If you had to pick one game to win (this weekend), this would’ve been it, because it’s one of the signature wins.”

In the midst of the toughest part of its non-conference schedule, Michigan has picked up plenty of those signature wins.

Maloney was excited about wins against Mississippi State, Oklahoma and Troy, a team that won 47 games last season. And this weekend, the Wolverines have a chance to put themselves in the midst of any early season NCAA Tournament talk.

“We have a chance to go down to East Carolina and play in front of 3,000 energetic fans,” Maloney said. “If we can pick up a win in East Carolina, with the three quality wins we already have, I think we’d prove to ourselves that we really belong.”