How would Jesus vote?

That’s the question Fred Bailey, regional coordinator for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, aimed to answer during a talk in Palmer Commons Friday night.

Speaking to a group of about 90, Bailey said there’s reason for Christians to vote for Republican presidential candidate John McCain because of his pro-life views. Bailey said people can vote for Democratic nominee Barack Obama if they believe he could better improve the quality of life for mothers and children.

Instead of endorsing one candidate or party, Bailey advised the audience to consider national priorities and each candidate’s beliefs, policy proposals and foreseeable results if elected.

“You come down to some details that require prioritization and not just bumper sticker slogans,” he said.

Though Bailey said Republicans generally tend to be better on issues of “personal righteousness” like abortion and “personal sexual ethics,” he said he aligns more closely with Democrats on issues of economic equality like education and caring for the poor.

LSA junior John Lin, one of event’s organizers, said the University’s chapter of the Asian Intervarsity Christian Fellowship sponsored the event to offer a different perspective on the intersection of politics and religion.

“People take this idea of religion and use it in such a harmful way that isn’t how it should be used,” he said, citing the inflammatory preachers that often speak on the Diag as an example.

Bailey tried to distance Christian politics from partisanship and what is often called the “Christian Right.”

“When we think about a Republican platform or a Democratic platform or any other platform, from a Christian perspective, we want to evaluate this on the basis of what it means to love God and love our neighbor,” he said in an interview.

Engineering junior Lily Li, who attended the lecture and described herself as an undecided voter, said she agreed with Bailey’s notion that each party has strengths for Christians.

“It was nice to realize that there’s no single issue that will make or break my vote,” Li said. “I can’t just look at the environment, I can’t just look at abortion, I can’t just look at gay rights. It’s all of them, and it’s more than that.”