The China Entrepreneur Network hosted its third case competition last weekend, providing an outlet for students to create solutions for business cases with several $1200 cash prizes on the line.

The case for this year focused on a Chinese embroidery company aiming to immerse itself into the market. Teams had the responsibility of creating a marketing strategy for the fictional company.

The competition lasted from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday with a panel of five judges composed of Ross professors and entrepreneurs. The top three teams received portions of a $1,200 cash prize.

CEN is an international organization with chapters in both the United States and China. The University’s chapter also welcomed Michigan State University students to this year’s competition — two teams at the event were from MSU.

The winning team consisted of Engineering graduate student Joshua Ma, Engineering junior Fiona Hu and Gaurav Gidwani, a Business and Engineering senior.

Business junior Yidan Zhang, co-president of the University’s chapter of CEN, said she hopes the competition provided an outlet for Chinese international students to participate in larger case competitions.

Zhang said the winning group excelled in their slideshows, market analysis and comparison and in producing a thorough end product to the hypothetical customer.

“The hope is that we’ll get, as new students come in, more Chinese students interested in this event and then also for this to act as like a stepping stone for them to embark on future entrepreneurial endeavors,” she said.

Zhang and others started the University’s chapter to help Chinese students find a path to entrepreneurship and improve their presentation skills.

“We wanted to have this channel, this platform for Chinese students to get exposure to this kind of event,” Zhang said.

Business junior Summer Pu, CEN co-president, was a participant in the case competition in its first year. Pu said she wants others to learn skills she gathered.

“We tried to learn a lot on our own,” she said. “I definitely learned a lot — learned how to cooperate, learned how to present under pressure.”

Pu said she wanted participants for the competition this year to gain business savvy through preparing and presenting their case.

“I really hope they can learn during this, no matter if it’s from the case analysis perspective or presentation perspective,” she said. “For most Chinese students, their largest problem or difficulties they’re facing is in how to present themselves and I know some of them are really smart. They know how to think, how to analyze but they don’t know how to express their ideas and thoughts.”