Amanda Chidester heard the roar before she even finished her swing.

Just seconds before the junior third baseman connected, the Michigan baseball team capped off a wild 11-inning classic across Wilpon Complex on a bases-loaded walk-off single by junior third baseman John Lorenz.

Michigan fans went ballistic.

And then they did it again. Chidester’s solo blast in the fourth inning was the game winner in the Michigan softball team’s 5-0 victory against Western Michigan in the NCAA Ann Arbor Regional.

As Lorenz was mobbed at second base at Ray Fisher Stadium, Chidester rounded third base for a similar greeting from her entire team at home plate at Alumni Field.

Chidester’s 13th home run flew far beyond the left-field fence, falling just off the brick Indoor Track Building.

“(The pitch) was supposed to be a low-rise,” Bronco pitcher Meredith Whitney said laughing.

But Chidester had no trouble putting a charge into the misplaced delivery.

“(Whitney) was throwing a lot of rise balls, keeping it up in the zone, and she finally threw one down to me, so I was able to see it and attack it,” Chidester said.

Chidester opened the scoring, but it was senior pitcher Jordan Taylor who made sure the lead held. Taylor threw her 42nd career complete-game shutout for Michigan (52-4 overall).

On the mound, Taylor tied a season high by tossing 13 strikeouts and held the Broncos (25-29) to three hits and two walks in seven innings.

“Today, I think she used her off-speed more than I’ve ever seen it, and I credit her for that because she had our hitters off-balance the entire game,” Western Michigan coach Kathy Leitke said. “Earlier in her career, it seemed like she was more of a power type pitcher, and she’s become a better pitcher by utilizing speeds in pitches.”

Michigan coach Carol Hutchins added: “The NCAA Tournament is just about surviving, and we’re going to rely on Jordan. She had a great game for us tonight and she was our rock.”

Taylor’s shining moment from the game was in the fourth inning, just before Chidester got the Wolverines on the board, when a walk and an error put two Broncos on base with just one out.

But Taylor induced a soft grounder to sophomore shortstop Amy Knapp and ended the inning with a strikeout that brought the sell-out crowd to its feet.

“I thought it would get us pumped up,” Hutchins said. “I actually at that moment said, ‘Jordan, get ‘em pumped up.’ We were kind of watching the game, we weren’t sure, and we didn’t have that great confidence that we needed, and Jordan gives us a lot of confidence.”

After Chidester’s blast in the bottom half of the inning, Michigan didn’t stop there. Following directly behind Chidester, sophomore second baseman Ashley Lane sparked a rally with a single down the line past third base.

“I always say that the most important at-bat is the one after the home run,” Hutchins said. “It didn’t look like Ashley was going to have a good at-bat, and then she got a good piece of the ball.

“It was important for us to get more than one run.”

The Wolverines brought three runs across in the fourth, adding two more with two outs. Senior designated hitter Marley Powers stirred a two-out rally with a double down the left-field line that scored Lane.

Powers has been lightly used this season, batting just .247, but she was 2-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored against Western Michigan.

“It’s my role, and I have to embrace it and do the best I can with it,” Powers said. “I feel like I contributed.”

Knapp capped off the fourth-inning scoring with a ground ball to third base — an errant throw to first found the back of the Broncos dugout, plating Powers and sending Knapp to second for a 3-0 lead.

“They’re a good two-out hitting team, and we just didn’t close the door,” Whitney said.

The Broncos threatened several times, putting runners in scoring position in both the fourth, fifth and seventh innings, but Taylor stranded them at second every time.

Michigan added a pair of insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth inning with a pair of RBI singles. Powers’s line drive to right field knocked in freshman catcher Caitlin Blanchard to expand the lead to 4-0. And freshman left fielder Lyndsay Doyle finished the scoring with an RBI single to left field.

Michigan will face Kentucky at 12:05 p.m. Saturday on ESPN. The Wildcats (37-14) topped Notre Dame 8-0 in the first game of the NCAA Ann Arbor Regional.

“I told the kids to come here and expect it to be a tough game,” Hutchins said. “They’re a very tough team, and I was impressed with them last year. I was more impressed with them tonight.

“They’re going to come to attack us — they’re coming here to beat us — and we’re going to have to fight.”