A rollercoaster three weeks for School of Dentistry student David Heys ended Wednesday when charges against him related to the theft of a taxicab were dropped after his friend took responsibility for stealing the taxi.

Heys was accused of hijacking a Yellow Cab taxi and driving it into University alum Aaron Eleby on State Street early on the morning of Feb. 10.

The driver of the taxi told Ann Arbor police that after he picked up Heys and another man from a bar, Heys put his hand in his jacket pocket as if he had a gun, ordered the driver out and then drove away with the taxi.

Police said the other man in the cab admitted to stealing the taxi but contradicted the driver’s account. The suspect told police that the driver left the taxi to talk to a friend at a house on the 900 block of Mary Street. He told police that he grew frustrated with the unexpected pit stop, so he got in the driver’s seat and drove away.

Heys, who was in the passenger seat, said he had nothing to do with his friend’s decision.

“I was a victim in the sense that the other suspect made a decision without my input,” he said.

Police said the suspect hasn’t admitted to hitting Eleby. He claims not to remember what happened between the time he took the taxi and when he left the vehicle on the 1400 block of White Street, said Dave Monroe of the Ann Arbor Police Department.

Heys said he and the suspect were taking the taxi to Fraser’s Pub on Packard Street.

Monroe said the case is still being reviewed, but the suspect will likely be charged with car theft. He said carjacking charges won’t be brought against him because the taxi driver was not in sight of his vehicle and the suspect didn’t threaten violence.

Monroe said the taxi driver will likely be charged with filing a false felony report.

The taxi driver did not explain to police why he left his taxi running with passengers in it or why he fabricated the carjacking, Monroe said.

Monroe said the taxi driver told police that it isn’t against company policy for a driver to leave his or her cab with a customer in it.

A Yellow Cab manager could not be reached for comment.

The School of Dentistry had suspended Heys on Feb. 13 for “allegations of non-academic misconduct.” The suspension was later dropped.

Heys said he was relieved when the charges and the suspension were dropped.

“This was four full years of grad school in the balance,” Heys said. “I was staring down losing my future.”

Heys, an Ann Arbor native, said the charges and suspension were difficult for his family. His father, uncle and cousin teach in the School of Dentistry.

“I was hopeful that the truth would come out,” he said. “But it’s scary how slow the legal process works in that situation.”