A mere glimpse at incoming freshman LaMarr Woodley causes jaws to plummet at an Enron rate. At 6-foot-2, 263 pounds, the 18-year-old specimen who boasts a 4.5 40-yard dash time has turned many heads in his first week of practice with Michigan, especially with a position change to defensive end.

After practicing the first three days of training camp at linebacker, the Saginaw native asked the coaching staff if he could move to the defensive line. On Saturday, Woodley completed his first day in a three-point stance.

“In high school, (Woodley) played a position where he was called a linebacker, but probably 95 percent of the time he rushed,” coach Lloyd Carr said. “You ask a young kid to come in as a true freshman and to grasp all that is (asking) a lot, so we’re going to try to put him in a position where he can do things that he’s capable of doing at this stage and we’ll see how that goes the next couple of weeks of training camp.”

As one of 16 incoming freshman, Woodley isn’t the only newcomer who’s garnered attention in training camp. Michigan’s recruiting class of 2003 was very highly regarded, making numerous national top 10 lists.

“We have a number of (freshman) that will factor in there at some point,” Carr said. “Ryan Mundy has impressed. He and Prescott Burgess are our two young kids that we’re trying to get up to speed.”

Mundy, a safety from Wilkins Township, Pa., earned USA Today High School All-America second team honors as a senior. Hailing from Warren, Ohio, Burgess was named the No. 1 high school safety in 2002 by Rivals100.com. It is entirely possible that both players will see significant game time as true freshmen, especially if junior safety Marlin Jackson is convicted of felonious assault.

Another freshman looking to make an impact in the upcoming season is kicker Garrett Rivas. A bluechip recruit from Tampa, Fla., Rivas was named the No. 9 high school kicker in the nation by TheInsiders.com. Rivas will compete with junior Adam Finley and senior Phillip Brabbs for starting at placekicker duties.

“He’s a confident guy,” Carr said of Rivas. “I think he’s what we thought he would be, but again, we’re just in the beginning. He’s kicked the ball very, very well and there’s no hesitation in him. He’s one of those guys that possess a kind of poise and confidence you need in a position like that.”

Carr’s job of acclimating the freshmen into the Michigan program will be tougher this season because the NCAA eliminated freshmen orientation – Carr says he used to meet with freshmen a few days before the rest of the team and “orientate them better academically and in terms of football.”

“I do think that was a mistake,” Carr said. “I think there’s a lot of coaches that feel that way. It really puts a lot more pressure on (the freshmen).

“What we’ve tried to do instead of our situational drills is we’ve tried to have some plays designed for them. In other drills we’ve added a five-minute period at the end of a period where all the plays that were called in that segment are designed for them.”

Not only does Carr ready freshmen for game situations, but he prepares the fresh faces for postgame scenarios as well.

“There are some basic fundamentals, just as there are in the game, that you use to deal with the media,” Carr said. “I try to tell them the people that they are going to come in contact (with) have a job to do. They’re not necessarily your friends. They have a responsibility. Don’t say anything that you don’t want to see in print.

“All of the sudden, when you’ve got four or five people standing around you with a camera, with a notepad, with a tape recorder, those are all things that you have to gain confidence with.”