CHICAGO (AP) The ball popped in the air, Mike Brown grabbed it and the Chicago Bears won in overtime.


Brown returned the interception 16 yards for a game-winning touchdown for the second straight week as the Bears stunned Cleveland 27-21 yesterday for their sixth straight win.

This is one they”ll be talking about for years.

Trailing 21-7, the Bears scored two touchdowns in the final 28 seconds of regulation, forcing overtime when James Allen caught a 34-yard pass from Shane Matthews that the Browns (4-3) tried to bat down in the end zone on the final play.

As several Browns jumped up to knock the pass down, Allen caught the ball as he landed on top of teammate Marty Booker, sending Soldier Field into delirium for the second straight week.

Chicago, which beat the 49ers 37-31 in overtime last Sunday on Brown”s 33-yard interception return after trailing by 19 points in the second half, won the toss in overtime.

The Bears couldn”t move, and Brad Maynard”s 52-yard punt pinned the Browns to their 12.

Tim Couch completed a 16-yard pass and then was sacked. On a second down from the 23, Couch”s pass was tipped by Bryan Robinson, and Brown was there again, carrying the ball 16 yards to the end zone and then all the way out of the stadium.

The Bears cut the lead to 21-14 on Matthews” nine-yard pass to Marty Booker with 28 seconds left, and then Bobby Howard recovered an onside kick at the Browns 47 following a scrum that took awhile to unscramble.

Cleveland looked in control, getting a fumble return for a touchdown from Courtney Brown on the second scrimmage play of the game, intercepting three passes and sacking Matthews five times.

Couch got untracked in the second half, throwing a pair of touchdown passes, one a tipped 55-yarder to Kevin Johnson late in the third quarter.

Cleveland led 14-7 when Couch dropped back and threw to the middle for Johnson. The ball grazed off the fingers of Brown and went right into the hands of Johnson, who then beat Tony Parrish to the end zone with three minutes left in the quarter.

The Browns moved 57 yards on their first possession of the second half.

Gambling on a fourth-and-one from the Bears 31, Couch lofted a 28-yard pass to Quincy Morgan. On the next play, he found Mike Sellers for a three-yard touchdown for a 14-7 lead.

Matthews was clobbered on a blitz by Wali Rainer on the game”s second scrimmage play, fumbled and Brown who”d missed the first six games with a knee injury picked the ball up and rumbled 25 yards for the touchdown.

Matthews struggled against Cleveland”s quick defense, throwing interceptions on the Bears” next two possessions one by Earl Little after the pass was tipped by Gerard Warren and the second by Brant Boyer.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.