In its final home game of 2009, the Michigan hockey team didn’t disappoint.

With a 4-1 win over No. 18 Notre Dame at Yost Ice Arena Friday night, the Wolverines took the first game of a home-and-home series, improving their record to 9-8-0. The win marks the first time they have been over .500 since Nov. 7.

In the waning seconds of the third period, the Michigan faithful began chanting “Just like football,” a reference to Michigan’s 38-34 victory over the Fighting Irish in September.

Junior center Louie Caporusso led the way with a goal and two assists. His early third period strike from the blue line that found the upper corner gave Michigan breathing room and highlighted perhaps his best performance of the season.

“I just watched Ovechkin YouTube clips,” Caporusso said jokingly of the goal. “Ijust tried to do that. Obviously, it didn’t look like him but I just figured, ‘You gotta shoot the puck.’ ”

The Wolverines collected their fifth victory in their last six games, and their third straight home win.

Carl Hagelin got Michigan on the board in the first period with a backhand goal off of a loose puck in the slot. It was his team-leading ninth goal of the season.

Senior winger Brian Lebler put the Wolverines ahead by two goals three minutes into the second period. Freshman defenseman Lee Moffie and Caporusso assisted on the play.

Notre Dame cut the lead in half with a power play goal midway through the second period, but Michigan responded with a power play goal of its own one minute and 30 seconds later. Moffie provided the tally, and Caporusso garnered his second assist of the period.

The Wolverines had a clear edge in the first two stanzas, firing 23 shots on goal and allowing just 11. The third period was more evenly matched, but by then the outcome was all but settled.

Caporusso, Moffie and Lebler all registered multi-point games. Lebler had been moved to the second line this week in practice, after spending the majority of the past month on the fourth line.

With the win, Michigan heads into Sunday’s contest on the doorstep of reentering the top-20.

Log on to www.michigandaily.com for updates and a live blog from South Bend.