BRIGHTON (AP) – As the race for governor entered its final 48 hours yesterday, Republican Dick Posthumus and Democrat Jennifer Granholm took their campaign messages to thousands of southeast Michigan churchgoers.

Posthumus told several hundred worshippers at Brighton Wesleyan Church that he is the only candidate who will govern according to his anti-abortion beliefs.

“We’re here because we’re asking for your prayers. Not necessarily prayers for victory, but prayers for wisdom and prayers for strength in the days ahead,” he said, standing alongside GOP secretary of state candidate Terri Lynn Land.

At the end of his brief speech, he held up his own well-worn Bible.

“No matter what happens in the next couple of days, this will be my guide throughout my life,” he said, to a rousing ovation.

At Detroit’s Greater Grace Temple of Apostolic Faith, Granholm told a congregation of about 2,000 that Posthumus has been running “a campaign of division.” Republican Party ads have said she is promising favors to Detroit in exchange for votes.

“Somebody is making the choice to divide city from suburb, east from west. And if that’s how they choose to campaign, then perhaps that’s how they’ll govern,” she said. “We are one Michigan … We all rise or fall together.”

Granholm planned to visit at least nine churches in the Detroit area yesterday. Posthumus visited two churches in Brighton before heading to a snowmobile show in Novi. Later in the evening he planned to visit suburban Detroit bowling alleys.

The candidates were preaching to the choirs at their respective churches. Congregants applauded heartily for Granholm in Detroit and surrounded Posthumus for prayers and handshakes in Brighton.

At Greater Grace Temple, 68-year-old James Moore of Waterford said he’ll be voting for Granholm.

“We really need a change and I think she’d be a good candidate. She’s sincere, and we don’t need the separation of the races,” he said.

Pat McIntosh, 53, of Detroit, likes Granholm because she’s a woman. She added that Posthumus is “prejudiced toward the city of Detroit.”

“She’s just going to work for all of the state, not just one specific city,” she said.

After a service at Cornerstone Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 74-year old George Zander told Posthumus he already voted for him by absentee ballot.

“He’s a Christian and I have trust in him,” said Zander, a German immigrant. “There’s something about this man.”