Week of Charity to begin on the Diag after holiday

Week of Charity will kick off on Monday following the holiday break. Students will be out on the Diag collecting canned goods and clothes for the Ann Arbor Salvation Army from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is sponsored by a number of student groups, including La Voz Latina, the Lebanese Student Association, the Chinese Student Association and the United Asian American Organizations.

Mortuary customs before Buddhism focus of lecture

Early Chinese cultures Prof. Miranda Brown will deliver a talk today at noon titled “Did the Early Chinese Attempt to Preserve Corpses? A Reconstruction of the Aims and Religious Significance of Pre-Buddhist Mortuary Custom.” It will be held at the International Institute on South University Avenue and is part of the as part of the Center for Chinese Studies’ Brown Bag Lecture Series.

Local bookstore will hold open mic night for readings

The Crazy Wisdom Bookstore and Tea Room on South Main Street will hold an open mic poetry reading tomorrow at 7 p.m. Signups will begin at the store at 6:30 p.m.

Sports radio host to sign new book

Detroit sportscaster and former Michigan football player Jim Brandstatter will sign copies of his new book Friday at 3 p.m. at Barnes and Noble Bookstore on Washtenaw Avenue. Brandstatter is the co-host of the long-running television show, Michigan Replay. His new book is titled “Tales from Michigan Stadium”. Registration for the event is required before attending. Call 677-6475 for more information and to pre-register.

Espresso Royale Caffe opens floor, mic to local poets

There will be a free open mic night at Espresso Royale Caff