History professor explores colonial and western issues of India

The Center for South Asian Studies will host a lecture today entitled, “Objects and Attachments in Colonial Western India: A Chapter in the Social Life of a Thing.” The talk will feature prominent scholar and History Prof. Rachel Sturman. The lecture begins at 2 p.m. in room 1644, School of Social Work Building.

Film recounts historical events of 1972 Japan

Masato Harada’s new film, “The Choice of Hercules,” based on events of 1972, will be screened today in an event sponsored by the Center for Japanese Studies. The movie portrays the conflict between police and Red Army soldiers seeking prisoners. The film begins tonight at 7 p.m. in Lorch Hall.

A cappella group performs annual fall concert

The a cappella group 58 Greene is performing tonight in its annual fall concert. Included in their program are hits by Stevie Nicks, Coldplay, En Vogue and Stevie Wonder. This small group of 13 derived their name from a practice room in East Quad.

The performance begins at 8 p.m. in Rackham Auditorium. Tickets cost $8 and are available at both the Michigan Union Ticket Office and the door.

Indian American cultural show blends new and traditional

The Indian American Students Association will host its Annual Cultural Show Saturday at the Michigan Theater. This year’s show, “Prathanjali,” will feature both traditional and contemporary aspects of Indian culture, including skits, fashion shows of Western and Eastern attire and dance performances.

Tickets can be purchased in advance from any Ticketmaster outlet or at the door. Main floor seats are $15 and balcony seats are $11.

Japanese tea party enacted in Omote style

The Museum of Art is offering members of the University community an opportunity to perform a traditional Japanese tea ceremony Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. The theme of the ceremony, “Deer’s Cry in Late Autumn Dusk,” will be enacted in the Omote style. Following the ceremony will be a discussion of the symbolism and significance of the rituals.

Caribbean writer reads poetry

Jamaican poet Lorna Goodison wil read her work Monday at 5 p.m. Goodison is one of the most prominent and respected poets to write on the culture and people of the Caribbean. Her reading, sponsored by the English Department will be in room D1276 of Davidson Hall.

Campus orchestra to perform classics

The Campus Symphony Orchestra will be led by three graduate students, Patrick Farrell, John Goodell and Rachel Lauber, Monday evening in a concert sponsored by the School of Music.

This ensemble of non-music majors will perform musical pieces by Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Borodin and Shostakovich.

The concert, held at the Michigan Theater, begins at 8 p.m.

Hospital hosts benefit for heart disease research

A fine dining buffet will be held tonight at Mott Children’s Hospital as part of the 10th annual “Save a Heart.”

Proceeds from the benefit will go toward heart disease research and treatment programs for the hospital.

Also scheduled for the charity event is a silent auction of goods and services. For reservations, call 936-9134. The event begins at 6:30 p.m.

Movie depicts disease outbreak in Taiwanese neighborhood

The Center for Chinese Studies is screening Tsai Ming-Liang’s “The Hole,” tonight at 8 p.m. This 1997 movie chronicles a ficticiious disease outbreak in run-down public housing complex.

The movie begins at 8 p.m. in Angell Hall Auditorium A.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter

Jennifer Misthal.