Philosophy prof to give lecture on Confucianism

There will be a brown bag lecture today at noon by University of Vermont philosophy Prof. Sin Yee Chan on “The Confucian Notion of ‘Ching’ (Respect)” at the School of Social Work on South University Avenue. Bring a bag lunch, although free cookies and coffee will be served.

Artist to talk about war-related violence at Union

Controversial Australian artist George Gittoes will give a slide illustrated lecture titled “Night Vision: The Artist as Witness” on his graphic drawings and paintings of war-related violence around the world today at noon in the Kuenzel Room of the Michigan Union.

Architect influence on the University to be lecture focus

“Alexander Jackson Davis: His 1838 Architectural Designs for the University and His Impact on Campus Planning” will be the topic of a lecture given by University building preservationist Julia Truettner today at 3 p.m. at the University Observatory meeting room on 1398 E. Ann St. and Observatory St. Truettner will discuss the influential 19th-century architect known for his bold Italian designs.

Showing of prize-winning Mira Nair film to take place

There will be a free showing of the critically acclaimed film “Monsoon Wedding” tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Auditorium C of Angell Hall. The film, directed by Mira Nair, is a comedy-drama about a Punjabi family in New Delhi as they prepare for their daughter’s wedding.

New York Times biology writer will give free reading

Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times biology writer Natalie Angier will read from and discuss a collection she edited titled “The Best American Science Writing 2002” tonight at 8 p.m. at Shaman Drum Bookshop on South State Street. There will be a signing and refreshments following the event.

Bolshoi Theater and Swan Lake focus of lecture

There will be a brown bag lecture sponsored by the University Center for Russian and East European Studies tomorrow at noon at the School of Social Work. University musicology Prof. John Wiley will talk on “The Bolshoi Theater and Swan Lake.”

Electronic Judaic resources to be discussed at talk

The University Center for Judaic Studies will host a free lecture titled “Judaica Electronica: Exploring and Mastering (the University’s) Digital Judaic Resources” given by University Judaic Curator Elliot Gertel tomorrow at 4 p.m. in room 4059 of the Shapiro Undergraduate Library.

Rackham student to talk on national parks in Belize

The Washtenaw Audubon Society will host a slide-illustrated talk titled “National Parks in Belize” given by Rackham student Osmany Salas tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at the University Matthaei Botanical Gardens on 1800 N. Dixboro Rd. Salas is the executive director of the Belize Audubon Society, which manages eight national parks and reserves in Belize.

Reporting in India to be addressed by NY Times writer

The University Center for South Asian Studies will host a free talk titled “Reporting India” given by Celia Dugger, the former co-chief of The New York Times South Asian bureau Thursday at 6 p.m. in room 1840 in the School of Social Work.

University prof to sing and read from Yeats’ work

“William Butler Yeats” will be the topic of a reading given by University English Prof. Emeritus Bert Hornback Thursday at 8 p.m. at Shaman Drum Bookshop. Hornback will read and sing selections from the work of the great Irish modernist poet.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Soojung Chang.