Talk explores labor conditions of Turkish women

Visiting women’s studies Prof. Nese Oztimur will be the featured speaker in a lecture today focusing on the conditions of working women in Turkey. The lecture, “The Effects of Global Capitalism on Textile Sector Working Women: the Case of Turkey,” sponsored by the Women’s Studies Department will begin at noon in Lane Hall.

Prof explains need for Asian Economic reform

The Center for Southeast Asian Studies will sponsor a talk, “Politics of Economic Reform in Asia,” by political science Prof. Amado Mendoza. Mendoza teaches at the University of the Philippines. The discussion begins today at noon in room 1636 of the International Institute.

Panel to discuss continued impact of Sept. 11 on higher education

Three University professors will be speaking this afternoon in an event sponsored by the International Institute. The lecture will feature political science Prof. Meredith Woo-Cummings, Buddhist and Tibetan studies Prof. Donald Lopez and anthropology and history Prof. Fernando Coronil.

The speakers will talk about the challenges institutions of higher learning in North America in the aftermath of the events of Sept. 11. Following the lecture, the professors will be joined for a panel discussion by anthropology and history Prof. William Cohen and Michael Kennedy, vice provost for international affairs.

The lecture begins at 2 p.m. in the School of Social Work Building, room 1636.

Newly published authors read from latest works

Two young fiction writers, Bonnie Jo Campbell and Kellie Wells, will be reading their new books at Shaman Drum Bookshop tonight at 8 p.m.

Campbell will read for her debut novel, “Q Road: A Novel.” This atypical novel chronicles the binds that hold three eccentric characters together on the family farm.

“Compression of Scars,” a compilation of 11 stories by Wells, also involves several eccentric characters searching for love in a material world.

Viennese theater tradition comes to School of Music

The School of Music is offering members of the University community a chance to listen to songs from Vienna’s Volkstheater tradition tomorrow afternoon at “The Old Vienna Comedy Project: Round Metternich; or Berko’s Law.”

Music scholars from Grand Valley State University will perform a two-act program including songs and skits from the 18th and 19th century Volkstheater. Included in the program are works by Thelonious Monk. The performance begins at 3 p.m. in the McIntosh Theater.

Amazin’ Blue to showcase tunes from new album

The oldest coed a cappella group on campus, Amazin’ Blue, will perform pop tunes from their new CD, “South U. and State.” Included on the CD and scheduled for the concert are covers of songs by the Weather Girls and Cassandra Wilson.

The concert will be at Rackham Auditorium, Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets are available at the Michigan Union Ticket Office and at the door.

Baltic ensemble performs with violinist Kremer

Kremerata Balitca, a 20th century chamber music ensemble will perform a concert showcasing pieces by Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian composers will be sponsored Sunday by the University Musical Society.

Prominent violinist Gidon Kremer will lead the ensemble. The program will have a variety of pieces, including those sounding dreamy to much more prickly numbers. Compositions by Debussy, Bartok and Alan Berg are included on the program.

Tickets cost $25-$35 and can be purchased in advance at Burton Tower or at the door. The concert begins at 4 p.m. in Rackham Auditorium.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter

Jennifer Misthal.