Prof. talks about new book at noon

As part of the Brown Bag Lecture Series, creative writing Prof. Eileen Pollack will discuss her book “Woman Walking Ahead: In Search of Catherine Weldon and Sitting Bull,”

today at noon at the Kuenzel Room in the Michigan Union.

Lecture addresses political theories

“What Everyone Should Know About Political Theory in Old China,” will be the topic of University Chinese arts and cultures Prof. Martin Powers’ lecture today at noon at the School of Social Work on South University Avenue.

ISR hosts talk on art for women in Ming-Qing China

The Institute for Research on Women and Gender will feature University of California art history Prof. James Cahill Thursday at noon in room 2239 in Lane Hall on South State Street. His talk is titled “Passages of Felt Life: Paintings for Women in Ming-Qing China.”

Local social worker to speak as part of teen drug use series

As part of the “Teens Using Drugs” series, “What to Know” will be the subject of a talk given by local social worker Ron Harrison today at 7:30 p.m. at the St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Education Center classroom EC4 located off of Huron River Drive.

Advocacy group president explores women’s roles

“Involving Women in War-Ravaged Afghanistan’s Transition to Peace and Democracy” will be the topic of a talk given by Sima Wali, the president of Refugee Women in Development, an advocacy group for refugee women in Afghanistan and elsewhere. Her talk, presented by the University Center for the Education of Women Mullin Welch Lecture series, will take place tomorrow at 4 p.m. in the Pendleton Room of the Michigan Union.

Symposium ends with discussion of the Great Lakes

Joseph Sax, an environmental regulation professor from the University of California, will discuss “Reflections on the Great Lakes,” as the final event of a symposium on the Great Lakes presented by the School of Natural Resources and Environment. It will take place tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. in the Lydia Mendelssohn Theater of the Michigan League.

Lecture by curator covers fish history

“Native Fishes of the Great Lakes” will be the topic of a lecture by the Museum of Zoology fish curator Gerald Smith, who will cover the origins and history of Great Lakes fish and the 19th century fishing industry. The talk will take place tomorrow at 7 p.m. at the University Exhibit Museum on North University Avenue.

Installation artist speaks at lecture

Brooklyn installation artist Leonardo Drew will give a talk Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Art and Architecture auditorium on Bonisteel Boulevard. Drew is noted for creating giant walls made of meticulous 3-D collages of small wooden boxes and found objects.

Novelist reads from new book focused on college drop out

Award-winning Virginia novelist and short story writer Richard Bausch will read from “Hello to the Cannibals,” his new novel about a pregnant college dropout who begins communicating across time with pioneering 19th century British explorer Mary Kingsley.

The reading will take place Thursday at 5 p.m. at Auditorium A in Angell Hall.

Prof. plays seven-stringed zither

University of Pittsburgh and University of Hong Kong music Prof. Bell Yung will play the guqin, or seven-stringed zither, in “An Evening of Classical Chinese Music: Bell Yung on the Guqin,” Thursday at 7 p.m. at the University Museum of Art as a part of the First Thursday Performance Series.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Soojung Chang.