RFK Jr. initiates celebration of Detroit River

Waterkeeper Alliance President Robert Kennedy Jr. is kicking off the “Detroit River Celebration,” a two-day event, with a press conference today at 1 p.m. in the Michigan Union.

Kennedy will also speak at the Chemistry Building auditorium at 4 p.m. and will attend a reception at 5:30 p.m.

The Detroit Riverkeeper group is among 90 other members of the Waterkeeper Alliance.

After serving in the Hudson River Foundation subsidiary as part of a 1984 community service sentence for heroine possession, Kennedy has gradually risen to power in the organization.

Kennedy’s uncle, President John F. Kennedy, founded the Peace Corps more than four decades ago on the steps of the Union.

French scholar to discuss writing

Prof. Jean Hebrard, inspector general for the French Ministry of Education, will be speaking on “Inventing the Material Basis for the Early Modern Diary: The Appropriation and Redeployment of Elements from Scribal Culture and School Culture,” a lecture sponsored by the Institute for the Humanities. Hebrard is from the Center for Research on Contemporary Brazil. The lecture begins at 4 p.m. today in the Pendleton Room of the Michigan Union.

Chinese film shows struggle of rural life

The Center for Chinese Studies is sponsoring a screening of “Beijing Bicycle,” a film by Wang Xiashaui. The movie explores a young rural boy’s struggle to work as a messenger. When his bicycle is stolen, he finds himself on an unexpected journey. The film will be shown with Mandarin subtitles tonight at Angell Hall Auditorium A, 8 p.m..

Teenage prostitution subject of film

Filmmaker Masato Harada’s renowned movie, “Bounce Ko-Gals” is being shown tonight at Lorch Hall. The Center for Japanese Studies is sponsoring this film featuring teenage girls working as escorts for older men. They spend their income on the latest fashions and technologies. The film begins at 7 p.m. and is in Japanese with English subtitles.

Acappellooza features various a capella groups

The student a Capella group The Dicks and Janes, is hosting Acappellooza, a festival featuring 15 other co-ed University choruses. Two groups from Indiana University, Ladies First, and the all-male Straight No Chaser will also be featured at the event. The concert begins at 8 p.m. Saturday and will be held at the Michigan Theater. Tickets cost $8.

Art lecture works with paint, abstract expressionism

University of Illinois art history Prof. Jonathan Fineberg will be speaking at the Museum of Art. His lecture, titled, “Thinking in Paint,” begins at 3 p.m. on Sunday. Fineberg’s lecture is the Museum of Art Doris Sloan Memorial lecture and will include slide illustrations. The event is in conjunction with the museum’s “The New York School Abstract Expressionism” exhibit.

Forum discusses social impact of medical research

All students are invited to an informal discussion of “Medical Research on Vulnerable Populations in the 21st century.” Sponsored by the Life Sciences, Values and Society Program, this is intended to give members of the University community an open forum to discuss scientific topics.

The forum, beginning Sunday at 4 p.m. is at Shaman Drum.

Ethics writer brings common sense to ‘U’

Randy Cohen, ethics columnist for The New York Times Magazine, will discuss business ethics in the wake of the various accounting scandals since the Enron Corp.’s numbers failed to add up.

Cohen, a columnist since 1999, will lecture at 7 p.m., Oct. 30 in Angell Hall Auditorium A. The event is sponsored by The Career Center.

Cohen was the original head writer for The Rosie O’Donnell Show and was also a writer for The Late Show with David Letterman.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Jennifer Misthal.