Prof. to lecture on tobacco-related diseases

University Health Management and Policy Prof. Kenneth Warner will give a lecture titled “In Harm”s Way? Harm Reduction and the Future of Tobacco-related Death and Disease” at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the Michigan League Hussey Room.

The lecture is the first in a series designed to honor the Distinguished University Professors, an award created by the University Board of Regents. Since their inception in 1947, the regents have awarded 30 such honors.

Native American myths debunked by author-activist

“Killing Indians: Myths, Lies and Exaggerations” will be the topic of a talk by Native American activist and author Sherman Alexie. The talk will be held in the Michigan Union Ballroom at 8 p.m. tomorrow and will be followed by a book signing.

Davis to attend MLK symposium

The University”s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Symposium continues Wednesday with a lecture by actor, director, screenwriter and civil rights activist Ossie Davis. The talk is titled “Civil Rights and the Mantle of Leadership.”

It will be held in the Chesebrough Auditorium in the Chrysler Building, 2121 Bonisteel Blvd, at 7:30 p.m.

East African dance troupe comes to A2

In celebration of Black History Month, the east African dance troupe Children of Uganda will perform a program involving African storytelling. The troupe will perform Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Ann Arbor District Library.

Author discusses research on low-wage occupations

Author Barbara Ehrenreich will come to Ann Arbor to discuss her research for her latest book, “Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America.” Ehrenreich researched the lives of the poor by quitting her former job and working in low-wage occupations.

The talk will be held in the Michigan Union Pendleton Room at 4 p.m. on Thursday, and will be followed by a reception.

Avery headlines poetry slam

Vancouver poet C. R. Avery will read his poetry tomorrow at 8 p.m. at the Heidelberg Restaurant, 215 N. Main St.

Open mic readings and a poetry slam will accompany Avery”s performance.

Prof. to lecture on labor law reform

The “Hot Topics in International Law” lecture series hosts California Western Law Prof. Ellen Dannin. Dannin will give a talk titled “Hail, Market, Full of Grace: Transnational Migration of Labor Law Reform.”

The lecture will take place today at 3:40 p.m. in 116 Hutchins Hall.

AOSS continues “skies” lecture

The University Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences Department concludes its lecture series “The Changing of the Skies” Saturday at 10:30 a.m.

The talk, which asks “Can We Blame The Sun for Our Changing Climate,” will be given by AOSS Prof. Joyce Penner in 170 Dennison.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Jordan Schrader.