Visiting law prof to speak about globalization

Richard Janda, a law professor from McGill University, will give a discussion today, titled “The End of Globalization? Aviation Governance in the Wake of September 11.” The discussion is part of a series titled “Hot Topics of International Law,” sponsored by the Center for International and Comparative Law.

The talk is in 116 Hutchins Hall at 3:40 p.m. and will be followed by refreshments.

Poet reads work to commemorate Hopwood Awards

Heather McHugh, a poet and University of Washington creative writing professor, will give a reading of her work tomorrow as part of a ceremony commemorating past winners of the Hopwood Awards, an annual contest which recognizes excellent University of Michigan undergraduate and graduate creative work in poetry, short fiction, essay, novel and screenplay.

The reading will be held in the Business School”s Hale Auditorium at 3:30 p.m.

Workshop for pre-med students offered this week

A series of workshops and seminars regarding the application process for medical schools, including personal essays and interviews will start tomorrow and continue through Thursday in the Student Activities Building.

For more information, e-mail ccp@umich.edu.

Asian-American author visits “U”

Don Lee, the editor of the literary journal Ploughshares, will deliver a reading Wednesday from his collection of short stories about Asian-American lives titled Yellow: Stories. The reading will be held at 5 p.m. in Hale Auditorium at the Business School.

Social worker to discuss issues of substance abuse

Social worker Paul Schreiner will lead a discussion tomorrow titled “Grief and Loss,” to discuss substance abuse and other problems surrounding it.

The discussion, which is part of the Community Education series, titled “Dawn Farm,” will be held at 6333 Stony Creek Rd. in Ypsilanti. Participants must pre-register. For more information, call 485-8725.

Students of Color Law Day held

Students interested in pursuing a career in law are invited to meet with recruiting representatives from over 40 law schools throughout the nation Wednesday at the Michigan Union.

Students will have a chance to obtain applications and talk to recruiting officers from various schools. This Career Planning & Placement sponsored event will start at 2 p.m. and end at 5 p.m.

University Dance Co. to perform at Power Center

The University of Michigan Dance Company will perform its first winter presentation, titled “Ancient Steps, Forward Glances” Thursday in the Power Center for the Performing Arts.

The performance is in conjunction with the University Museum of Art”s exhibit, titled “Women Who Ruled: Queens, Goddesses, Amazons 1500-1650,” which begins on Feb. 15, focusing on women leaders who led states and kingdoms in Europe during this time period and who referred to themselves as goddesses or virgins.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Daniel Kim.