Author speaks on fast-food industry

Award-winning journalist and author Eric Schlosser will be speaking at Borders Bookstore on Liberty Street today at 7 p.m. Schlosser will read from his most recent work, “Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the American Meal,” which gives a shocking and disturbing description of the fast food industry.

“Fast Food Nation” has been compared to Upton Sinclair”s “The Jungle” for its brutal descriptions and ground-breaking investigative writing.

Schlosser”s book portrays the huge amount of power the fast food industry has amassed, such as how McDonald”s has become the nation”s largest buyer of beef and potatoes and one of the largest toy distributors.

Brown-bag lunch to discuss Russia

Bring a lunch and get ready to delve into the issues surrounding the Russian people and Russian foreign policy as political science Prof. William Zimmerman gives a talk Wednesday on “The Russian People and Foreign Policy: Elite and Mass Perspectives in the Post-Soviet Period.”

Zimmerman”s main areas of study include the relationship between the attitudes of Russians with regards to markets, democracy and foreign policy. He has also explored the mass-elite gap in Russia and the potential for a true democratic system to evolve in the nation.

Zimmerman”s lecture is part of a weekly series of brown-bag lunch lectures on Eastern and Central Europe sponsored by the Center for Russia and Eastern European Studies.

The free lecture will be held Wednesday at noon in room 1636 of the School of Social Work Building.

“U” sponsors week of astronomy events

This week students will have a variety of opportunities to explore the world of astronomy at the Angell Hall Observatory open house and the University Exhibit Museum”s “Stars of Winter” and “Women in Astronomy” exhibits.

On Friday from 9 to 11 p.m., visitors will have the opportunity to look through the telescope on the roof of Angell Hall at Saturn or Jupiter.

On Saturday and Sunday, Law Prof. Bev Pooley will narrate an audiovisual exploration of the stars and plants visible in the sky during the “Stars of Winter” lecture series at the museum.

There will be three presentations each day beginning at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. in the University Exhibit Museum.

While at the Exhibit Museum, visitors may also attend the “Women in Astronomy” audio-visual show that travels through history discussing the contribution of women astronomers from the fifth century to modern times.

This exhibit will run on Saturday and Sunday with showings at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.

Admission is $3 for all museum events.

Faculty, students work on Detroit renovation plans

Tomorrow will wrap up the five-day workshop on urban design where top urban designers and faculty and students from the University”s Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning will present a preview of the renovations being made to the downtown Detroit sports and entertainment district for Super Bowl XL in 2006.

The workshop is meant to provide an atmosphere where a variety of experts and students in the field of urban planning can come together to form solutions to current urban problems.

More than 50 University graduate students and students from the University of Detroit-Mercy were involved in the design workshop, which was sponsored by the college of Architecture and Urban Planning.

The design plans for the downtown Detroit district will be presented on Tuesday at 5 p.m. at the Gem Theatre on Madison Avenue in Detroit.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.