Farewell reception will honor Bollinger

University President Lee Bollinger will be honored during a farewell reception today as he prepares to leave his position at the end of the semester sand take over as president of Columbia University on July 1.

There will be a short reception in the Anderson room of the Michigan Union from 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. and will include the unveiling of a plaque and portrait in honor of Bollinger. Food and beverages will be provided.

The event is sponsored by the Michigan Union Board of Representatives and all students, faculty and staff are welcome.

The reception will be followed by a presentation of several speakers at the Clements Library at 4:15 p.m.

Speakers at the event will include English Prof. Ralph Williams, state Rep. Chris Kolb, MSA President Matt Nolan, University Regent Rebecca McGowan and Bollinger.

NPR to broadcast live from Hill Aud.

Garrison Keillor, the host of the hit NPR radio show “A Prairie Home Companion,” will broadcast live from Hill Auditorium this Saturday.

The show will feature 17-year-old School of Music student Jeremy Kittel, who has gained national recognition for his folk music and recordings.

The program hopes to bring the spirit and celebration of folk music alive in a variety show format.

Other local guests who will be performing include Jesse Mason, Jo Serrapare and the Hot Tail Section, Robin and Linda Williams and Mallie O”Brien.

The concert will begin at 5:45 p.m. at Hill Auditorium. Tickets range from $35 to $125 and can be purchased through the Michigan Union Ticket Office.

Law school lauded for work in field of public interest

The American Bar Association recently named the University Law School the best public interest law school in the country.

In honor of the school”s achievement, the Law School”s public interest office was awarded the 2001 American Bar Association Law Student Division”s Judy M. Weightman Memorial Award.

The public interest office works to strengthen students” knowledge and involvement in not-for-profit law through internship opportunities, job shadowing and counseling from Law School alumni currently working in the public sector.

The head of the public interest program, Robert Precht, said he was delighted that such a new program, which has only been around since 1995, had received the award.

Precht added that the Law School achievement in public interest law is a good sign for the legal profession.

“It makes me have a great deal of hope for the next generation of lawyers,” he said in a press release.

Literary magazine features works by writers at “U”

The Winter 2002 issue of the Michigan Quarterly Review features works by and about members of the University community.

English Prof. David M. Halperin, contributed “Homosexuality”s Closet,” an essay about gay male subjectivity. Halperin is Honorary Visiting Professor in the School of Sociology at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.

Rackham graduate student Karen R. Miller wrote about the controversy surrounding Detroit”s Museum of African American History, the Detroit Institute of Arts, and urban politics at the end of the 20th century.

The Michigan Quarterly Review is edited by University English Prof. Laurence Goldstein and is published quarterly in January, April, July, and October by the University.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.