Wallace to narrate for Copland piece

The University Symphony Band will perform Aaron Copland”s piece “Lincoln Portrait” with CBS “60 Minutes” anchor Mike Wallace as narrator. The Friday program will also include other patriotic works.

“It seems appropriate to relive these words on the anniversary of a day that has indeed lived in infamy,” conductor Michael Haithcock said in a written statement.

Wallace was chosen to narrate the piece in part because he is a WWII veteran.

Copland”s piece was first performed in 1942 and is meant to convey the patriotism and humanity that are conveyed in Lincoln”s Gettysburg Address.

In addition, a section of the concert will be dedicated to the victims of Pearl Harbor and the Sept. 11 attacks through the performance of on of the most famous funeral marches, “Funeral Music for Queen Mary, after Purcell.”

The concert will begin at 8 p.m. in Hill Auditorium, and admission is free.

Former Clinton aide to discuss public privacy

Former chief counselor for privacy for the Clinton administration Peter Swire will give a lecture tomorrow on the relationship between telecommunications and the law and how they relate to public privacy.

Swire has also served as White House coordinator for the proposed and final privacy rules for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act medical.

He has had experience coordinating administration policy regarding the public and private sectors such as financial privacy, encryption, public records, and computer security and privacy.

Swire has also published numerous works in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, the New Republic and the American Banker.

The lecture will begin at 7 p.m. in Hutchins Hall .

Lecture to focus on environment

The U.S. Department of Agriculture”s undersecretary for natural resources and environment Mark Rey, a University alum, will speak tomorrow on obstacles the U.S. Forestry Service and other land management agencies must deal with.

As director of the activities of the U.S. Forestry Service and Natural Resource Conservation Service, Rey currently oversees 191 million acres of national forest, grasslands and conservation programs related to private forestry and agriculture.

Rey has also served as a staff member for the U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources where he was involved in conservation and forestry related bills.

The talk will run from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Hussey Room of the Michigan League. The event is free and open to the public and reception will be held following the talk.

Eleven “U” science faculty honored

Eleven University faculty members have been named American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows.

There are a total of 288 individuals named as fellows.

The University faculty recognized include: chemistry Prof. Brian Coppola, Dentistry Prof. John Drach, Medical Prof. David Ginsburg, physics Prof. Gordon Kane, Education Prof. Joseph Krajcik, Medical Prof. John Lowe, chemistry Prof. David Lubman, biological chemistry Prof. Marthat Ludwif, human genetics Prof. Miriam Meisler, Dentistry Associate Dean of Research Martha Somerman and biology Prof. Charles Yocum.

Compiled By Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.