Law School lunch, language program begins today

Law School students, faculty and staff will have the opportunity to practice their foreign language skills and learn more about other cultures during the Language Lunch programs, which will be held today through Wednesday.

The Center for International and Comparative Law and the International Law Society will be providing free pizza and soda to residents and nonresidents of the Lawyers Club.

Participants are not only encouraged to hone their communication skills, but also to share their interest in foreign countries.

Today”s Language Lunch will feature Spanish, Japanese and Korean languages. Tomorrow, participants will have the opportunity to practice speaking French, Russian and Chinese. Wednesday will be German, Hebrew and Hindi/Urdu day.

People interested in including another language in the Language Lunch series may contact the Center for International and Comparative Law.

All Language Lunches will be held from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. in the Lawyers Club Recreation Room.

Second part of writing workshop series begins

The second in a two-part writing series that aims to enhance participants” writing style and technique will take place today.

The event is designed to help participants improve their writing styles and develop techniques that will strengthen their communication skills.

While the first part of the writing series focused on larger elements of writing, the second part will focus on smaller components such as sentence structure and individual word choice.

Participants will be able to practice the skills they are learning through several different types of writing exercises. In addition, there will be tips on revising and editing and how to identify ineffective and forceful writing.

The workshop is open to the public, but space is limited to 30 participants.

The event will take place from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Henderson Room of the Michigan League.

Scholl to perform historical pieces

Singer Andreas Scholl will perform “A Musical Banquet” tomorrow at the Mendelssohn Theatre beginning at 8 p.m.

Scholl”s performance will include a program filled with songs from the peak of the Renaissance period and traditional Spanish and French songs.

The concert will include music from the songbook of John Dowland, often referred to as one of England”s greatest composers.

The program hopes to convey the emotion of longing for love and death with love in unobtainable and the rich expressions of nature.

The University Musical Society sponsors the concert. Tickets range from $20 to $35.

Sultan”s exhibit to end this week

This week will be the last chance to see Donald Sultan”s Smoke Ring exhibit at the Museum of Art.

The exhibit contains large-scale Iris prints, smaller photographs and canvases featuring tar paintings and spiraling curls of smoke. The paintings are meant to represent the graphic elements of black and white, as well as to create a certain state of mind for the viewer.

Sultan is a New York artist who has had a long-time interest in still-life art. He strives to give attention to the beauty found in everyday life and commonplace details that are encountered on a daily basis.

The works will be accompanied by a gallery guide where each photograph and painting of Sultan”s will be paired with an emotional and provocative piece of writing by Max Blagg.

The exhibition will run through Nov. 25 at the Museum of Art.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.