Conference to focus on economy

The University will hold its annual Conference on the Economic Outlook this Thursday and Friday to discuss the future of the national and Michigan economies and consumer outlook for 2002.

Thursday”s events will include:

n Professor of economics and statistics Saul Hymans, director of the University Research Seminar in Quantitaive Economics, will open the conference with a presentation on “The U.S. Economic Outlook.”

n Richard Curtin, director of the Survey of Consumers at the University Institute for Social Research, will discuss “The Consumer Outlook for 2002.”

n A presentation on “The Tax Rebate: Spent or Saved?” will be given by University economics profs. Matthew Shapiro and Joel Slemrod.

n Tufts University profs. Drusilla Brown, Alen Deardorff and Robert Stern as well as Michigan professors of economics and public policy will examine “The Effects of Recent and Potential Trade Agreements on the U.S. and Other Major Trading Countries.”

n Michigan resident and economist E. Philip Howrey will talk about “The Index of Consumer Sentiment as a Predictor of Cyclical Peaks.”

Friday”s events will include:

n University economics pofessors Joan Cary and George Fulton will begin the day with a presentation on “The 2002 Outlook for the Michigan Economy.”

n David Cole from the Center for Automotive Research will give a speech on “Auto 2000+, Life in the Really Fast Lane.”

n German banker Peter Hooper will discuss “Deutsche Bank”s View on the U.S. and Global Outlook.”

All lectures will be held at the Michigan Theater on East Liberty Street and will begin at 9:30 a.m.

Knighted prof. to speak on health inequalities

Sir Michael Marmot will give a lecture today titled, “Inequalities in Health: Interaction of Research and Policy,” during the School of Public Health”s annual Thomas Francis Jr. Memorial Lecture.

Marmot, who was knighted for his work on health inequalities, primarily focuses on epidemiology, the prevention of cardiovascular disease and social and cultural determinants of disease with respect to psychosocial factors and nutrition.

He is a professor of epidemiology at University College in London and the director of the International Center for Health and Society.

Marmot”s talk is part of a theme at the University addressing the causes and cures of inequalities in health.

The event will be held from 4-5 p.m. at the School of Public Health Building II. The talk is free and open to the public.

Author to speak on privacy in the information age

The interrelationship between telecommunications and law and the issue of privacy in the information age will be discussed Wednesday by author and scientist David Brin.

This event is sponsored by the Park Foundation”s grant to support the study of telecommunications and law. The lecture will begin at 7 p.m. in Room 100 of Hutchins Hall at the University Law School. The event is free and open to the public.

Brin”s lecture, “A World Filled With Cameras: Security at the Cost of Freedom? Or Can We Have Both?” is one in a series of presentations by University faculty, staff and students.

Brin is best known as the author of best-selling science fiction novels such as the “Uplift War” and the Hugo Award winning novel “Startide Rising.” He holds a Ph.D. in physics as well.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.