Housing fair gives students chance to weigh options

Students will have an opportunity to learn about housing options, both on and off campus, today in the Michigan League.

All types of student housing will be represented, including residence halls, family housing, co-ops, Henderson House and the HomeShare Program, where students live with an elderly Ann Arbor resident.

Landlords from local companies will also be on hand to answer students” questions and concerns about renting apartments and houses. They will provide information about units available for lease next fall, and schedule viewing appointments.

To ensure that students are not only aware of their options, but also their rights and responsibilities as tenants, the city of Ann Arbor will be providing information and there will be pamphlets available for participants.

Prizes will be raffled through out the day, and refreshments will be available. The Housing Fair will be from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Michigan League Ballroom. The event is free and open to all students.

“U” history is focus of Parents Weekend

Proud parents of University students are invited to campus for a weekend-long series of events this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

This year”s Parents Weekend theme will be “The University of Michigan and Its History.” Parents will be able to experience the highlights of campus history through tours and receptions in each residence hall.

E. Royster Harper, vice president for student affairs, will talk with parents about University policies and programs available for students. In addition, English Prof. Ralph Williams, a winner of the Golden Apple Award for outstanding faculty, will give a lecture.

For entertainment, several events will be held such as performances by the Chicago Comedy Company and the School of Music production of the opera “The Consul.”

Limited tickets will be available for Saturday”s football game against the University of Minnesota.

Burton Tower celebration Friday

The history and recent renovations to the Burton Memorial Tower will be celebrated Friday when the University and Ann Arbor communities gather at the Ingalls Mall, located between Burton Tower and the Michigan League.

The celebration will include free refreshments, music and discussions about the history and future of Burton Tower as the 45-ton bells will be put to life by University carillonneur Margo Halsted and other University musicians.

Burton Tower has been a landmark for the University and Ann Arbor since it was completed in 1936. The architect of the tower, Albert Kahn, also designed numerous other buildings on campus such as Angell Hall, Hill Auditorium, the Natural Science Building and the East Engineering Building.

The tower has recently undergone a $1.8 million renovation.

The public is invited to join the celebration that will begin at 4 p.m.

Careers in human rights subject of presentation

A presentation will be given on careers in international human rights and welfare Wednesday at 6 p.m. in room 1636 of the School of Social Work.

A panel of representatives from non-government and not-for-profit agencies will discuss the career options in these fields as well as the skills needed to succeed.

Professionals will be on hand to help participants weight the pros and cons of becoming involved in human rights work and types of job options available.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.

The event comes at a time when non-government and not-for-profit organizations who offer opportunities for international work in numerous fields related to human rights and welfare are experiencing one of the largest growths in history.

The event is sponsored by the Center for the Education of Woman and co-sponsored by the University Career Planning and Placement and the Ford School of Public Policy. It will be held in the School of Social Work Building in room 1636 and will begin at 6 p.m.

Complied by Daily Staff Reporter Shannon Pettypiece.