Correction appended: The article on the the Trotter House Phillipine culture night states an incorrect date for the event.  The date of the Phillipine culture night is Friday, October 28th.  

Edwards to speak on Diag

2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee John Edwards will speak on the Diag tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The University is the last of 10 stops on his College Tour 2005: Opportunity Rocks. Seating is limited. Tickets are free and available at projectopportunity.org by registering and printing out a confirmation e-mail with an e-ticket. The event is sponsored by The Detroit Project, College Democrats and the LSA Student Government.

Information fair tomorrow at School of Social Work

The School of Social Work is sponsoring a recruitment festival for students interested in career opportunities in social work. It will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. tomorrow in the school’s McGregor Commons. The fair will also have information about the University’s graduate social work degree programs, the master of social work and the doctorate in social work and social science. The event is free but requires registration.

Trotter House to hold Philippine culture night

Eating homecooked food, dancing, poetry reading and singing will take place at the Philippine Culture Night at Trotter House at 6:30 p.m. today. Tickets are $12 if purchased before the event by e-mailing fasa-off@umich.edu and $15 at the door. Proceeds will go toward the the completion of the Las-Ud school in llocos Sur province of the Philippines.

Crime Notes

Eyes of dining employee burned

A South Quadrangle Residence Hall dining employee suffered   burning of her eyes after cleaning solution got in them, the Department of Public Safety reported Another dining employee reported the incident on Wednesday at about noon. No ambulance was requested.

Purse stolen from Mason Hall

A female student reported her purse was stolen from Mason Hall Wednesday at about 11 a.m. It contained a wallet, $5 in cash and a miscellaneous ID, she said. The purse was left unattended. There are no suspects at this time.

Magazine and shorts stolen from CCRB locker

A male student reported that items from his assigned locker in the CCRB were stolen on Wednesday at about 5 p.m. He claimed he had four pairs of shorts and a magazine in the locker. There was no evidence force was used to break into the locker.

This Day In Daily History

PIRGIM reveals A2 lease violations

Oct. 28, 1977 – Widespread examples of deception and abuse in housing leases used by landlords have been found in Ann Arbor and 18 other Michigan cities, the Public Interest Research Group in Michigan announced yesterday.

Findings of the student-based research and lobbying group show “objectionable clauses” in all of the 46 leases examined in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti, with an average of 3.6 violations per lease. The 18-month study revealed that of 200 leases investigated state-wide, 99 percent contained “illegal, unenforceable, or abusive clauses.”

Violations in Ann Arbor and East Lansing are more common than in any other of the cities studied, according to PIRGIM program director Bernard Shaefer. “In student areas, landlords are especially careful to hold students to everything they can possibly imagine,” he said.

Lease terms PIRGIM called unfair or illegal include offenses such as leases requiring tenants to pay rent if the landlord reneges on maintenance.