Forum to examine evolution of American dance

The Music School kicks off its two-day symposium today, titled “From the Mariinsky to Manhattan: George Balanchine and the Transformation of American Dance.” The event, part of the Celebrating St. Petersburg themed semester, includes scholars from the United States, Russia and England and former Balanchine dancers Suzanne Farrell, Edward Villella and Violet Vardy. The event begins at 8:30 a.m. in Rackham Auditorium.

Drug reimportation topic of pharmacy conference

A conference, titled “Reimportation of Pharmaceuticals: Economic and Policy Implications,” will examine the reimportation of pharmaceuticals and its implication on the U.S. pharmaceutical industry. Sponsored by the University’s Center for Medication Use, Policy and Economics, the conference is from 7:30 a.m. to noon today at the Campus Inn on Huron Street.

Students can receive advice on test-taking

Students will learn to improve test-taking abilities by looking at guidelines used for creating multiple-choice, essay, true-false, matching and completion questions tests. The seminar will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different testing formats. Sponsored by the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, the seminar is from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. today in the Koessler room of the Michigan League.

Lecturer speaks on link between physics, cancer

Seth Blumberg will discuss how physics helped save his life when he was told he had cancer nine years ago. Blumberg, now in remission, will speak about how ultrasound, x-ray and radioisotope imaging have on physics. He will also discuss physics’ role in cancer treatments such as in his treatment of controlled doses of radiation. “Saving Lives: The Physics of Medical Imaging” is from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday in room 170 of the Dennison Building.

Students will debate issues in presidential race

The leaders of the College Democrats, College Republicans, College Libertarians and College Green Party will participate in a debate on local, national and international issues shaping the next presidential election. Questions will be posed by a panel including political science Prof. Gregory Markus, Michigan Student Assembly President Angela Galardi and University Hillel Governing Board Chair Bobby Nooromid. The debate is from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sunday in the Vandenberg room of the Michigan League.

Prof reads from his urban-inspired works of fiction

John Edgar Wideman, English professor at the University of Massachusetts, will read from his fictional works. Among his novels are “A Glance Away,” Two Cities” and “Philadelphia Fire.” The reading is sponsored by the English Department and begins at 7:30 p.m. Monday in the Pendleton room of the Michigan Union.

Exhibit on African culture comes to Media Union

A traveling exhibition beginning Monday features historical timelines, maps, drawings, ceremonial objects and contemporary photographs of the history of the African diaspora.

The exhibit, “Creativity and Resistance: Maroon Cultures in the Americas,” is from noon to 6 p.m. in the Media Union on North Campus.

Students will collect cans, not candy for Halloween

Students will collect cans for the Food Gatherers Organization rather than collecting candy on Halloween in the United Asian American Organization’s Trick or Can event. The event is from 5:15 p.m. to 8 p.m. tonight in room 2105A in the Michigan Union.

— Compiled by Adhiraj Dutt Daily Staff Reporter.