Local pianist will perform eclectic blend at concert

Local pianist Kathryn Goodson will play a variety of music styles on the piano, including classical and ragtime. On the list will be works by Bach, Shostakovich, Babadjamian, Gershwin and Ragtime composers. The event, which will take place Thursday at 12:10 p.m. in the main lobby of the University Hospital, is sponsored by the University of Michigan Health System’s Gifts of Art.

WWII hero to give lecture, receive medal at ceremony

World War II hero Bill Basch will receive the Wallenberg Medal today for risking his life during the war to aid Jews living in safe houses. Basch will also lecture on his experiences as a survivor of the Buchenwald and Dachau concentration camps and his experiences with and high regard for Raoul Wallenberg. The event, at 7:30 p.m. in Rackham Auditorium, is sponsored by the Horace Rackham School of Graduate Studies, the Wallenberg Endowment and University Hillel.

Time again for Intramural sports hockey entries

Entries for the Fall 2003 Ice Hockey Tournament will be taken tomorrow at the Intramural Sports Building from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The fee is $175 per team. There will also be a mandatory meeting for team managers today at 6 p.m. The tournament begins Nov. 2.

Film on Peter the Great to play in Angell Hall

A film depicting the early part of the reign of Peter the Great will be shown tomorrow in Auditorium A of Angell Hall. The Russian czar founded the city of St. Petersburg and built Russia’s first navy. He is widely seen and the man who initiated the process of bringing Russia into the modern world – intellectually, technologically and artistically. The showing will begin at 8:30 p.m. and is sponsored by the Center for Russian and East European Studies.

Human rights speaker explores domestic violence

Loretta Ross, founder and executive director of the Center for Human Rights Education, will give a lecture on domestic violence titled “Bringing Human Rights Home.” The lecture is part of the Fourth Annual Tamara Williams Memorial Lecture – in memory of the former University student who was killed by her boyfriend. The event, tomorrow from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. in Room 1324 of East Hall, is sponsored by University Housing, the School of Social Work, the Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center and the Interdisciplinary Research Program of Violence Across the Life Span.

Classics prof gives talk on last words

Classics Prof. Danielle Allen from the University of Chicago will give a lecture titled “Last Words: Rhetoric, Death and Authority.” Allen won the Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in 2001. The event will be Thursday at 4 p.m. in the Special Collections Library of the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library. It is sponsored by the Department of Classical Studies.

One-time showing of documentary on Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Martin Doblmeier’s documentary about renowned 20th-century theologian Deitrich Bonhoeffer will be shown today at the Michigan Theater. Bonhoeffer was killed during World War II for his known opposition to Hitler and the Nazi regime. The film will be shown at 7:15 and 9:15 p.m. Tickets are $8 for students.

British director to lead Russian epic drama performance

British director Declan Donnellan will lead a group of actors, picked from various guilds in Moscow, in the performance of the epic drama “Boris Godunov.” The drama, performed in Russian, is about the sins of a 17-century tsar whose rise to power involved murdering the rightful heir, a young boy. The event, tomorrow at 8 p.m. in Crisler Arena, is sponsored by the University Musical Society. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased in advance at the Michigan League.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Ryan Vlcko.