Walk and talk with the Ann Arbor LGBT community

Students looking to meet lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students and learn about Ann Arbor’s LGBT friendly businesses and hangouts now have the chance. Take a walking tour around Ann Arbor and visit places of interest to the LGBT community today starting in the Michigan Union at 5:30 p.m. “Powerwalk,” sponsored by The Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Affairs, will end at 7:30 p.m. returning to the Michigan Union.

South African speaks on reconciliation

The Sociology Department is bringing South Africa native Ginn Fourie, whose only daughter died in the 1993 Heidelberg Massacre in Cape Town, South Africa, to speak on justice and forgiveness today in Auditorium 3 of the Modern Languages Building at 7 p.m.

Since the massacre, Fourie travels around the world promoting reconciliation in post-apartheid South Africa. She is a lecturer in physiotherapy at the University of Cape Town.

African-American convocation talks of campus unity

African-American faculty and staff along with University President Mary Sue Coleman will discuss the importance of unity within the University black community on campus tomorrow in the Mendelssohn Theatre at 6 p.m. A reception will follow the UMOJA (which means “unity” in Swahili) convocation.

Hillel to host open house, BBQ

University Hillel will host an open house and BBQ tomorrow at Hillel on Hill Street at 8:00 p.m. Organized by Hillel to promote the 25 Hillel-affiliated groups representing a range of programs serving the Jewish community, it is also a chance to meet new people and eat free kosher BBQ food.

Festifall offers array of groups on the Diag

More than 300 student clubs on campus eager to recruit new members will hold booths showcasing their organizations on Thursday on The Diag from 11:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. “Festifall” presents a variety of organizations such as religious, ethnic, athletic and political groups available for students wanting to be more involved on campus.

Coleman to talk about tuition hike on radio station

University President Mary Sue Coleman will speak live on Ann Arbor’s WUOM-FM Thursday from 2 p.m to 3 p.m. Coleman will discuss the tuition increases and the new LSA admissions policies in a University public radio broadcast.

DPS promotes of bike registration for students

Students who register their bicycles with the Department of Public Safety have increased chances of getting the bike back if ever stolen. That’s why DPS is promoting bike registration on Thursday on The Diag from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Just bring the bike, student ID and a valid driver’s license for the free registration.

Student gospel choir performs on Palmer Field

Young Apostolic Students for Christ will hold a “Back to School Gospel Concert” on Thursday on Palmer Field at 5:00 p.m. As part of Welcome Week events, the choir hopes to encourage students to audition for the group and enjoy the music.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Carmen Johnson