Workshop explores body image effects on student health

To prevent the possibly of harmful consequences of students’ negative views of their bodies, Counseling And Psychological Services is presenting a body image workshop in the Anderson Room C in the Michigan Union tonight at 7 p.m. The workshop includes a showing of “I’m Not the Average Girl on Video” and a talk by CAPS staffers, Kelly Lockwood and Christine Asidao.

Former prisoners to read poetry

In addition to others reading poetry of incarcerated prisoners, former inmates will read their poetry and prose at Shaman Drum Bookstore, 315 S. State St. tonight at 7 p.m.

As part of the Prison Creative Arts Project, poet and former prisoner Raul Salinas will read from his published collections of poetry.

Salinas currently conducts writing workshops in schools and prisons and serves actively in national and international human rights issues.

Budding Chinese entrepreneurs discuss diversity

Johns Hopkins University Prof. Kellee Tsai will be giving a lecture titled, “Capitalists Without a Class: Political Diversity Among Private Entrepreneurs in China,” in room 1636 of the School of Social Work Building today at noon.

Tsai will report on national survey results of the political orientation of private entrepreneurs in China, based on in-depth interviews with entrepreneurs and officials throughout China. The event is sponsored by the Center for Chinese Studies.

West Bank prof explores public attitudes, trends

Khalil Shikaki, political science professor at the West Bank’s Bir Zeit University, will be lecturing on recent trends in Palestinian discourse and public attitudes advancing political reform in Angell Hall Auditorium A tomorrow at 4 p.m. The lecture is sponsored by the Frankel Center for Judaic Studies.

Acclaimed writer reads his fiction

Critically acclaimed fiction writer Matthew Klam will be reading from his work in D1276 Davidson Hall at 5:00 pm on Thursday. Klam’s first book, published in 2001, “Sam the Cat and other stories,” was selected as Notable Book of the Year by The New York Times.

Documentary depicts global AIDS epidemic

“A Closer Walk,” Robert Bilheimer’s film depicting humankind’s confrontation with the global AIDS pandemic, is showing in Lorch Hall Auditorium today at 7 p.m. Narrated by Glen Close and Will Smith, the film is shot over three years on four continents and feature interviews with AIDS patients, their families and health care professionals.

The film showing is sponsored by the University’s student chapter of the Global Health Council as part of this week’s global health symposium.

Seminar confronts societal values

An interactive workshop challenging the glorification of slenderness presented by activist and performance artist Heather MacAllister will be held in room 1200 Chemistry Building, Thursday at 7 p.m. The event is sponsored by the University Health Service.

Rushdie’s works’ influence on Asia to be discussed

Coinciding with the performances of Salman Rushdie’s “Midnight Children” at the Power Center, a symposium on Rushdie and South Asia will be held in Rackham Auditorium, tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. The symposium titled “Reflections on the World of Salman Rushdie” will link nation, religion and diversity in Rushdie’s writings. The impact of Rushdie’s works on Indian and Pakistani writers of his generation will also be discussed.

Prof lectures on situation in Iraq

Miami University Prof. Adeed Dawisha and Karen Dawisha, director of the Havinghurst Center for Russian and Post-Soviet Studies at Miami, will be giving a lecture and discussion on the current situation in Iraq in Auditorium A of Angell Hall on Thursday at 4:00 p.m.

– Complied by Daily Staff Reporter Carmen Johnson.