Former president of Indonesia to address terrorism

Former President of the Republic of Indonesia and former leader of the moderate Muslim organization Nahdlatul Ulama Abdurrahman Wahid will speak on “The War on Terror in Southeast Asia” in the Business School tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. The event is sponsored by the Center for Southeast Asian Studies and the International Institute.

Columbia Prof to discuss ancient Chinese ritual

To encourage conversations among scholars of Universities, the Center for Chinese Studies is sponsoring Columbia University Prof. Lai Guolong to speak on “Impersonation and Position in Early Chinese Ritual” in the School of Social Work Building today at noon. Guolong will argue that significant changes occurred in the mode of ritual communications from examining sacrificial records and spirit tablets from 216 B.C.

Biologist talks on invasive species, plant communities

Biologist Victoria Nuzzo, who specializes in protection, management and monitoring of natural areas, with an emphasis on invasive species and their impact on plant community structure, will speak on the “Impacts of Invasives in Natural Systems” in the Michigan League, today. Nuzzo is sponsored by the Ecosystem Management Initiative of the School of Natural Resources and Environment.

Musicians given spirit awards to celebrate MLK

To award musicians who are “Building Community Together,” the North Campus Spirit Awards will bring a keynote speaker to introduce the Spirit Awardees tomorrow at Britton Recital Hall in the School of Music at 4:30 p.m. The event is part of the 2003 Martin Lurther King, Jr. Symposium.

Scale, definition of sexual harrassment topic of lecture

University alum Barbara Gutek will speak on the “The Experiences of Sexual Harassment Scale: A Five-Item Measure of Sexual Harassment Based on a Legal Definition” at Lane Hall, tomorrow at noon. Gutek will discuss a new five-item measure of sexual harassment that measures harassment globally and is based on the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s definition of sexual harassment. The event is sponsored by the Institute for Research on Women and Gender.

Native American activist to discuss social activism

Tom Goldtooth, national director of the Indigenous Environmental Network, will lecture on “Cowboy Bush and Indians: Frontier Mentality and Mother Earth” as part of the 2003 MLK Symposium in the Michigan Union, Kuenzel Room tomorrow 6 p.m. He has been recognized for his achievements throughout the past 30 years as an activist for social change within the Native American community.

Panel discusses changing face of ‘Black America’

A panel presentation titled “Changing Landscape of Black America” will focus on a number of key areas, including economic, political and urban development.

The program will highlight the changes that have affected blacks during the 20th century and continue to impact their lives in the 21st century. The event will be held tomorrow in the Institute for Social Research at 3 p.m.

Dance company gives performance with “Rhythm”

The University Dance Company is performing “Resonant Rhythms” Thursday in the Power Center at 8 p.m. The dance is set to contemporary percussion rhythms to highlight choreography by Lar Lubovitch and set to the Phillip Glass composition of “The North Star.” The event is sponsored by the School of Music and require tickets.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Carmen Johnson.