Negev professor to present on Cultural Critique

Shachar Pinsker, a professor of Modern Hebrew at Ben-Gurion University in the Negev will present a talk on “Intertextuality, Cultural Critique and the Making of Hebrew Modernism” Thursday in the Frieze Building at 4 p.m.

California Prof to host reading of Japanese book

The University Center for Japanese Studies is hosting Daniel O’Neill who will be reading Soseki’s “Shumi No Iden” Thursday in the International Institute building at noon. O’Neill is a professor of East Asian languages and Cultures at the University of California, Berkeley.

Classic book to be discussed as part of MLK events

Patricia Coleman-Burns, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs in the School of Nursing, will be leading an informal discussion of the classic, “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. There will be a dialogue on the book’s lessons about society and human nature today in the School of Nursing building at noon.

Multicultural fair held tomorrow

For students looking for careers after college, a multicultural career fair will be held tomorrow in the Michigan Union Ballroom at noon. The fair is sponsored by The Career Center and the Borders Group.

Lecture on diversity in the classroom

Sylvia Hurtado, chair of the School of Education’s Center for Higher and Post-Secondary Education, will be discussing how diversity affects classroom and student development tomorrow in the Industrial and Operations Engineering Building on North Campus at noon.

Author to examine future of economy, community balance

A panel will examine the trade-off between commercial and community development in a discussion called, “Can we find a balance?: Challenges in Finding Equilibrium Between Community and Economic Development” tomorrow in the Art and Architecture lecture Hall at 5:30 p.m. The panel will feature Prof. June Manning Thomas, author of many books including, “Detroit: Race and Uneven Development.” A subsequent discussion will address the future of our urban areas.

Native American author will address homophobia

The Native American Student Association is sponsoring Oklahoma Creek-Cherokee Craig Womack to give a lecture titled, “Continuing Homophobia in Native Literature: Lynn Riggs, A Case Study” tomorrow in the Michigan Union at 6 p.m. Womack is the author of “Red on Red” and novel “Drowning in Fire.”

Domestic violence to be discussed in East Hall tomorrow

A half-day event, “Multicultural Issues in Domestic Violence: Clinical Implications,” will discuss multicultural perspectives on domestic violence and give attention to the implications of clinical intervention tomorrow in East Hall at 8:30 a.m.

Lecture will feature diversity of the engineering field

A program to discuss how to remedy the difficult national phenomenon of the few women and underrepresented minorities choosing an education in engineering will be held Thursday in the Lurie Engineering Center at noon. The “5th Annual MLK Lucheon and Discussion Series: Attracting and Retaining a Diverse Engineering Faculty” will address the issues surrounding this problem.

Arab-Israeli issues featured in forum

The Zionist Organization of America and the Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee will hold a public forum tonight in the Union to discuss topics pertaining to the Arab-Israeli conflict.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Carmen Johnson.