Rep. Dingell to lead affirmative action rally today

U.S. Rep. John Dingell (D-Ann Arbor) will lead a contingent of student groups in a rally today to confront Bush’s opposition of University admission policies. College Democrats and minority student leaders will join Dingell in leading the rally. It will begin at noon on the steps of the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library.

Saxophone player to perform at Bird of Paradise tonight

A former member of Dizzy Gillespie’s big band and Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers, Benny Golson has composed many lasting jazz pieces, including “Killer Joe” and “Stablemates.” He performs tonight at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. at the Bird of Paradise, located at 306 S. Main Street. Tickets are $20 for adults and $12 for students with ID.

Dinosaur tours on display at the University Museum

Visitors to the University Exhibit Museum will receive guided tours of the museum’s dinosaur exhibits. The free tour is available on a first-come, first-serve basis – only the first 15 visitors will be granted admittance. The tour will commence both Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Anti-war groups to rally for peace

There will be an anti-war rally on Saturday at noon at the Federal Building. Sponsored by a coalition of local peace and anti-war groups, demonstrators will gather to support activists for the national rally against the war in Washington. The Washington rally is expected to be the largest since rallies held during the Vietnam War. One student group plans to march down Liberty Street to the rally site from campus.

Music School faculty, students perform for MLK

Music students and faculty will perform a “musical celebration of the philosophies and ideas of Martin Luther King, Jr.” The free event shows Monday at 2 p.m. at the Power Center. The University Concert Band will perform Copland’s “Fanfare for the Common Man,” Prof. David Jackson’s trombone quartet will perform brass selections and other faculty members and students will perform arias, spirituals and read King’s speeches.

Local stand-up comics perform at the Heidelberg

On tuesday from 9:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. local and regional stand-up comics will perform short sets. The show is open to newcomers – call emcee Timmy P at 369-2381 at least 5 days in advance if you would like to perform. The show is $5 at the door at the Heidelberg, which is located at 215 North Main Street.

Paris-based group comes to the Ark

Paris-based ensemble “Les Yeux Noirs” will perform at the Ark at 8 p.m. Wednesday. The Ark is billing the show as the “jump-out-of-your-seat dance-music concert of the year. The group features a pair of deuling violinist brothers, and songs in Yiddish, Romanian and French, among other languages. Tickets are $12.50 in advance at Borders, the MUTO, all other Ticketmaster outlets and at the door. The Ark is located at 316 South Main Street.

Writer gives free readings at ‘U’

Lorrie Moore’s award-winning, sharply humorous novels and short stories have received praise from The New York Times for their “deepening emotional … wise and beguiling work.” Her fiction focuses on people whose problems have broken them, and frames their problems with a bitingly sarcastic wit. She will give a free reading Thursday at 5 p.m. in D1276 Davidson Hall.

Movie based on Dickens novel continues run

Based on the Charles Dicken’s story “Nicholas Nickleby” tells the story of a boy who finds success in the world despite very unfortunate circumstances, including an evil uncle. The film, written by Douglas McGrath, stars Christopher Plummer and Jim Broadbent. Prices range from $5.50 for Theatre members to $8 for adults.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Kara DeBoer.