Poet to discuss recovery from kidney failure

Poet Sekou Sundiata will hold a discussion titled “Understanding the Patient Experience through the Arts: Kidney Disease and Transplantation” Monday at 4 p.m. in the Hussey Room of the Michigan League. He will discuss his recovery from kidney failure, a kidney transplant and a serious car accident.

Speaker to talk about sustainable development

Renowned speaker and economic philosopher Frithjof Bergmann will give a speech titled, “The Next (Possible) Revolution in the Not-Developing World” Monday at 7 p.m. at the Ypsilanti District Library on 5577 Whittaker Rd. His talk will focus on his experiences working with the South African government, where he developed a new approach to economic development.

Anime films to be shown at The Underworld

There will be free showings of feature-length Japanese anime DVDs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. at The Underworld. Films are to be chosen by the audience. The Underworld is located at 1202 South University Aven. No one will be admitted after 9:30 p.m.

Film based on Dickens novel to commence run

“Nicholas Nickleby” will start its run Tuesday at the Michigan Theatre. Based on the Dickens novel, it is the story of a destitute boy who makes his way in the world despite considerable hardships. The 2002 movie is written by Douglas McGrath and stars Jim Broadbent and Christopher Plummer.

Documentary on homeless hosted at District Library

The Ann Arbor District Library will host a showing of the documentary “Listen” Wednesday at 7 p.m. It features interviews with more than 20 homeless people who live in Ann Arbor. The film, created by Residential College seniors Eliha Wolfe and John Mathias, will be followed by a panel discussion with City Councilwoman Jean Carlberg, Interfaith Hospitality Network’s Alpha House homeless shelter executive director Sarah Stanton, Dawn Farm social worker Charles Coleman and a homeless person profiled in the video.

Renowned story teller to present at Media Union

Storyteller Jay O’Callahan will give a free presentation Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Media Union Video Studio on North Campus. O’Callahan has been called “a theater troupe inside one body” by The Associated Press.

Roots of Hebrew to be discussed

The formation of the Israeli language will be the focus of a lecture on Central Campus today. Ghil’ad Zuckerman, a candidate for a position in modern Hebrew language, literature and culture, will present his lecture, titled, “The Emergence of the Israeli Language: Revival, Relexification or Hybridization?” The event will be at 4 p.m. in room 2065 of the Frieze Building.

Composers perform on North Campus

A free performance of works by composers Aaron Copland and Claude Debussy, among others, will take place at 8 p.m. on North Campus. Clarinetist Fred Ormand and pianist Martin Katz will perform at the Britton Recital Hall in the Earl V. Moore Music Building.

Swing dancing lessons offered

Learn how to swing dance tonight at a free workshop at Pierpont Commons. After learning the basics from the Lab Ensemble from 9 to 10 p.m., participants will then dance to music played by a swing band made up of students from the Jazz Studies Program within the School of Music. The event will take place at Leonardo’s.

Art, music display featured at Pierpoint

An exhibition of Milwaukee-based artist and musician Nicolas Lampert’s work will be on display today at Pierpont Commons. Lampert is known for his machine animal collages.

-Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Kara DeBoer.