Prof analyzes religion during colonial period

Anthropology professor Webb Keane will be discussing “Religion Culture and the Colonies” today at noon as a part of the University’s Institute for the Humanities Brown Bag Lectures.

It will take place in the Common Room at the Comerica Building on 250 S. Thayer. Bring a bag lunch.

Lecture explores development of Jewish America

English and Jewish studies prof. Julian Levinson will be lecturing on “Washed in the Blood of Israel: Emma Lazarus and the Rebirth of Jewish Culture in America” tomorrow at noon in room 3040 of the Frieze Building.

The talk is sponsored by the University Center for Judaic Studies.

Film screening features Islamic art, architecture

A video screening of “The Cities of Islam: Istanbul and The Isfahan of Shah Abbas,” offering a look into the cities’ architecture and culture will be shown in University of Michigan Museum of Art audiovisual room tomorrow at 12:10 p.m.

This is part of a series of video screenings this month highlighting Islamic art and culture.

Harpist brings soothing sounds to ‘U’ Hospital

Mellow jazz harpist Christa Grix will be performing Thursday at 12:10 p.m. at University Hospital lobby.

The event is part of the “Gifts of Art” program.

Speaker proposes new cyberspace interactions

The School of Art and Design is sponsoring a lecture by MIT Media Lab Tangible Media Group Director Hiroshi Ishii, who will be talking about his efforts to create “beyond the keyboard” ways of interfacing with cyberspace.

The lecture will be held in the Art and Architecture auditorium Thursday at 5 p.m.

Event encourages dancers of all abilities to swing

The Michigan Union Arts and Programs and Swing Ann Arbor will host a series of swing dance lessons Wednesday beginning at 7:30 p.m. in the Michigan Union.

The evening will begin with a beginner dance lesson followed by an intermediate session at 8:30 p.m. and an open session at 9:30 p.m. Admission is $3.

Health education of women to be topic of talk

Prof. Nancy Hunt will be discussing “An Experiment in Global Women’s Health Education: The Women’s Health in the City of Accra Project.” The event, sponsored by the Institute for Research on Women and Gender, will be held today at 4 p.m. in Lane Hall.

U-Move invites students to jazz aerobics class

To provide students with a variety of exercise classes, U-Move is sponsoring a Fitness Jazz Aerobics Promo Class in the Central Campus Recreation Building today for $3.

Images of youth development to highlight event

Terry Blackhawk and Toby Kahn-Loftus will be presenting “Images of Good Practice: Education, Child and Youth Development Programs, and Social Organizations” at the Schorling Auditorium in the School of Education today at 6 p.m.

Presentation to focus on human research subjects

Edward B. Goldman, health systems attorney and Prof. Robert F. Todd of the department of hematology and oncology will be presenting “Human Participant Protections: Biomedical Sciences” today at 5 p.m. in G2310 Sheldon Auditorium.

-Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Carmen Johnson.