Prof. lectures on musicians

Music theory and women’s studies Prof. Nadine Hubbs will give a talk titled “Sanctioning a Stereotype; or, It Turns Out, in the 20th Century ‘Music’ and ‘Queer’ Were Fairly Interchangeable,” today at noon in the Kuenzel Room of the Michigan Union. The event is sponsored by the Institute for the Humanities.

History of ‘U’ museums to be discussed

Biology Prof. Thomas Moore will give a lecture, titled “Creation of the University’s Museums: Ornithologist J.B. Steere’s 1870 Worldwide Expedition” today at 3 p.m. in the University Detroit Observatory meeting room on 1398 E. Ann St.

A2 to hold forum on divestment from Israel

There will be a discussion titled “Community Forum on the Question of Divestment from Israel” today at 6:30 p.m. in the multipurpose room of the Ann Arbor District Library on South Fifth Avenue. Four local speakers will present arguments for and against a proposal that the city divest from companies that do business in Israel. A public comment period will follow the event.

Cultural Film Series debuts Czech film

There will be a showing of the film “The Shop on Main Street” today at 7:30 p.m. in the Pierpont Commons Lounge on North Campus as part of the Cultural Film Series. The film, which is based on the life of a Slovak man during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, was the first Czechoslovakian film to win an Academy award.

Psychiatry prof. to talk on delirium

University psychiatry Prof. Barbara Kamholz will give a give a talk titled “Delirium: New Ways Toward Prediction and Treatment” tomorrow at noon at the Maternal-Child Health Center Auditorium at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. This free talk is sponsored by the University Health System.

Video to present life and work of Jan Vermeer

The life and work of Dutch artist Jan Vermeer will be explored in a showing of the

film “Vermeer: Light, Love, and Science” tomorrow at 12:10 p.m. in the Audio Visual Room of the University Museum of Art. The video will analyze the economic, scientific and political context of Vermeer’s work along with some of his most celebrated works. It is part of an ongoing series of art video showings at the University Museum of Art. This month’s focus is on the art of the Netherlands.

Free Press hockey writer to read at Borders

Former Michigan Daily managing sports editor Nicholas Cotsonika will give a free reading of his book “Hockey Gods” tomorrow at 7 p.m at the Borders on East Liberty Street. Cotsonika, who covers hockey for the Detroit Free Press, will read from his inside story about the Detroit Red Wings, the 2002 Stanley Cup champions. A signing will follow the event.

University groups give free concert

There will be a free performance by the University Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Choir and Orpheus Singers tomorrow at 8 p.m. at the Power Center. Prof. Kenneth Kiesler will conduct the program, which will include one of the first performances since 1940 of James Johnson’s opera De Organizer, recently restored by Prof. James Dapogny. German composer Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana will also be performed.

Medical School students give gift of music at UHS

The Borodin Society will give a performance titled, “Gifts of Art: Classical Selections by the Borodin Society” Thursday at 12:10 p.m. in the first-floor lobby of the University Hospital. The Borodin Society is composed of Medical School students. At this free event, they will perform classical Mozart.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Soojung Chang.