Expert speaks on assistance with contraception

Susan Kahn, director of the Hadassah International Research Institute at Brandeis University will be speaking at a talk titled, “Reproducing Jews: A Cultural Account of Assisted Contraception in Israel,” sponsored by the Center for Judaic Studies.

The lecture begins today at noon in the Lane Hall seminar room.

Musician performs new CD on campus

Kristy Hanson will be performing new music live in the piano lounge of Pierpont Commons today at noon.

Her concert, titled “Music at Midday,” will feature Celtic, folk and original songs, reflecting her work on “Half the Moon.”

Prof reads from “A Christmas Carol,” acts like Dickens

Charles Dickens scholar and English Prof. Emeritus Bert Hornback will read Dickens’ popular holiday story, “A Christmas Carol,” to members of the University community tonight at Clements Library at 7 p.m.

Hornback is world-famous for his Dickens performances, in which he even dresses as Dickens, wearing a Victorian costume.

Before he begins the story, Hornback will discuss current political events with the audience, something he feels Dickens would do.

A compilation of holiday songs performed by a vocal trio of University students will accompany the reading.

Chamber music to be performed by Music students

A student ensemble will be led by Harpsichord Prof. Edward Parmentier in a concert titled “Early Music Ensemble.” Pieces of baroque chamber works are on the program, including Couperin’s Les Nations, Monteverdi’s “Ecco, Silvio” and arias by J. S. Bach.

The concert will also feature choral works by Peter Philips, Michael Praetorius and Orlando di Lass.

The performance begins at 4 p.m. tomorrow in Blanche Anderson Moore Hall.

Alum screens film, holds discussion

The Department of Film and Video Studies is screening “Unforgettable,” a film by University alum Mark Marabate. Set in a small cabin in Northern Michigan, movie tells the story of a dark, haunted night.

Following the film, Marabate will answer questions from audience members. The film begins tomorrow at 6 p.m. in the Natural Science Auditorium.

A capella group to perform in various languages, genres

Kol HaKavod, a Jewish a cappella group, will hold its fall concert Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The group performs songs from several different music genres, including Israeli rock, traditional and contemporary Jewish music and original songs.

Songs will be in English, Hebrew, Yiddish or Ladino. The concert is at Hillel Green Auditorium.

Curator discusses Chinese art exhibit

The Museum of Art is sponsoring talk titled “Masterworks of Chinese Painting: In Pursuit of Mists and Clouds,” by Maribeth Graybill, Asian art senior curator to discuss a current Chinese art exhibit.

Local Chinese painting scholar James Cahill, owner of the collection, will make opening remarks about the exhibit.

The talk begins Sunday at 3 p.m. at the Museum of Art.

Students perform classical pieces at band concert

Profs. Michael Haithcock and Timothy Reyinsh lead the Symphony Band in a concert Saturday afternoon.

The group will perform David Dzubay’s “Myaku,” a dark composition built around rhythmicpulse and the number seven.

Selections from Mozart’s “Don Giovanni” and Nicolas Maw’s “American Games” are on the program as well.

The concert will be at the Michigan Theater and begins at 3 p.m.

-Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter

Jennifer Misthal.