Workshop on backcountry cooking
What:
A clinic on how to prepare terrific meals, plan a menu and ration food in the wilderness. The event is part of the Michigan Outdoor Leadership Semester. It will conclude with a potluck dinner and costs $10 to attend.
Who: Michigan Outdoor Leadership Semester
When: Today from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: Elbel Building

Film about the Korean diaspora
What:
“Koryo Saram: The Unreliable People,” a documentary film produced and directed by University faculty about the Korean diaspora in Kazakhstan
Who: The Center for Russian and Eastern European Studies; co-sponsored by the Korean Studies Program and the Center for International and Comparative Studies
When: Today from noon to 1 p.m.
Where: School of Social Work Building

Philosophy club mass meeting
What:
The group’s first meeting of the term will include an introduction and general information followed by a discussion on determinism
Who: The Undergraduate Philosophy Club
When: Tonight at 9 p.m.
Where: Angell Hall, room 2271

Three things you should know today

1 The state Court of Appeals ruled that adulterers can be charged with first-degree criminal sexual misconduct, a felony that is punishable by life in prison. Judge William Murphy questioned the law, but said the court had to follow it.

2 Scotland’s schoolswill show “An Inconvenient Truth” in classes. Al Gore’s film will be distributed courtesy of ScottishPower, a large energy company, The (Glasgo) Herald reported.

3 In San Marcos, Texas, two vending machine burglars were caught with 989 pounds ($18,000) of quarters. Police are still looking for a third suspect, KXAN, a Texas TV station, reported.