The Michigan men’s soccer team will have the luxury of playing with sophomore Knox Cameron for just three more games in this year’s regular season. Cameron was recently selected to play for the National Under-20 team. From Nov. 4th to Nov. 18th, Cameron will be training and competing in Charleston, South Carolina at the CONCACAF group B qualifying tournament.

“It’s a great honor for him to play and represent our country,” Michigan coach Steve Burns said.

Cameron will miss the last two games of the regular season and the entire Big Ten Tournament. Burns would rather have Cameron with his Wolverines, but he thinks the team can overcome the loss.

“In the game of soccer, one player does not make a team,” Burns said. “It takes 11 players working well together to accomplish something.”

Cameron has appeared in every one of Michigan’s 30 games the past two seasons, registereing 13 goals and six assists. His goal count makes him the all-time leader in Michigan’s brief soccer history and his eight goals this season is one off the team lead.

Burns, whose team travels to Illinois-Chicago and Northwestern this weekend, is already thinking about replacements for Cameron. Robert Wurth and Mike White are possibilites

The conference tournament will be a daunting task without Cameron’s presence. The team needs an excellent showing in the Big Ten Tournament to give itself a shot at earning a bid in the NCAA tournament. If Michigan should earn a bid to the tournament, Cameron would be back in time to play.

“We will have something to prove in the Big Ten Tournament,” Burns said. “We want to show that we are more than a one-player team.”

Cameron’s absence makes one wonder if he will be around in the years to come. Might Cameron be tempted to turn pro and leave Michigan early? Burns thinks that this scenario unlikely.

“With the poor salaries that soccer players in this country make, it would be wise for Cameron to stay and get his degree,” Burns said. “The advice he is getting from home and from the coaching staff is to stick around for the full four years. He has a good head on his shoulders, and he should definitely be around in the future.”