The Michigan softball team planned on riding the arm of Marissa Young to its third straight College World Series, but ran into an even hotter pitcher yesterday.

Defending NCAA champion California scratched out a run in the second inning and Cal pitcher Kelly Anderson made it stand, shutting down No. 3 seed Michigan for a 1-0 win.

The No. 2 seed Golden Bears did not give up a run in 25 innings this weekend, and dating back to last year’s World Series, have not allowed a run in 47 postseason innings.

Haley Woods roped a double with a runner on first in the second, putting a pair of runners in scoring position. Two batters later Chelsea Spencer hit a sacrifice fly to give Cal the lead.

Michigan’s (44-16) best chance at the plate came in the fourth inning. With one out, senior Melinda Moulden singled and Young followed with a double. Michigan coach Carol Hutchins waved Moulden home, but the relay from right field beat her to the plate.

“I waved (Moulden) in because you don’t get a lot of opportunities to score,” Hutchins said. “I thought we had a great chance and we still had Marissa on second base.”

In the sixth, freshman Tiffany Haas reached second base with one out, but junior Meghan Doe and Moulden both grounded out to end the threat.

With one out in the final inning, sophomore Jessica Merchant followed a walk by junior Monica Schock with a single. But senior Lisa Mack struck out looking and junior Jennifer Olds grounded out to second to end the game.

The Wolverines were 4-1 entering Sunday’s game against the Golden Bears. After cruising by Western Michigan 8-0 on Thursday, Michigan struggled Friday afternoon and lost to Cal, 9-0. The Wolverines played again right after the loss and bounced back to crush Wright State, 13-0.

On Saturday, Young single-handedly kept Michigan’s season alive in wins over No. 4 seed Notre Dame (5-3) and top-seeded DePaul (3-2), respectively. Young was on the mound for all 14 innings and struck out 25 batters in the two games. She had one stretch where she retired 30 of 31 batters and also drove in all three runs against DePaul with a first-inning homerun.

Young – who joined Moulden and Haas on the All-Regional team – was disappointed to see her season, and Michigan career, come to an end.

“I gave it everything I had and my team was behind me,” Young said. “We had a great tournament and it’s going to be hard to leave.”