After President Bush said he opposes the University’s use of race as a factor in its in admissions policies during an address yesterday, students responded with various concerns about the impact his actions will have on the cases.

Education senior Agnes Aleobua, a member of the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action and Integration and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary, said Bush’s address jeopardized the hopes of success for minorities.

“He’s sending a message to the blacks and minority youth of this country that they will not have the opportunity to attend a place like the University of Michigan, and the Supreme Court can not repeat this negative message,” she said.

But LSA senior Dean Wang, head of Young Americans for Freedom, supported the President in opposition to the University’s policies.

“There are racial problems in America, but I don’t think that affirmative action is the way to solve them,” Wang said. “If we create barriers, I don’t think we’ll create a society in which people don’t judge each other by race.”

Many students declined to take a definite stance for or against the University’s policies. Art and Design sophomore Ryan Herberholz said the University should intervene to overcome racial divisions within the country, but that affirmative action does not always fairly evaluate applications.

“Anything that breaks down that segregation I think is good, but I don’t know if quotas should be set, or if someone should be turned away who has a higher grade point because of the color of their skin,” he said.

Several students said the University should look more favorably on minority applicants, but added the current policy ignores other applicants who should also receive support.

“I don’t think race should be a determining factor but socio-economic upbringing (should be),” LSA sophomore Ashek Ahmed said. “I think that the point system of the University establishes admissions which contain a certain predetermined number of minority admissions.”

LSA junior Andrew Thomas said, “There’s a lot of poor white kids, I’m sure, who can’t afford to go to school here.”

Students also held different opinions of whether Bush’s address would have a significant impact on the country or the Supreme Court.

“I think Bush is a popular president, so people are going to go along with what he says,” Thomas said.

But Ahmed said, “President Bush isn’t the best speaker, so what he says may not have a great impact on those who were listening.”