Budget concerns within the University”s Information Technology Department are threatening my.umich.edu before it marks a year of service.

“As a unit we support the site and are enthusiastic about maintaining and improving it, but there are real budgetary issues within the University”s technology department,” said Linda Place, director of the University website coordination. “As a new service, the value of my.umich.edu will be questioned and evaluated.”

my.umich.edu offers a wide variety of services, including email, news, a campus directory, a calendar, announcements and favorite website storage. A unique feature, “Making U-M History,” focuses on campus news and events. Coordinators are working to create a symposium piece on Martin Luther King Jr.

“There have been substantial improvements made to the site,” said Judy Bean, a member of the group which maintains the site. “It is out of pilot mode and into production service.”

“More than 15,000 people logged onto the site last month,” Place said. The site saw no decline in users during last month”s holiday season.

Users from the United States constitute the majority of the site”s visitors.

Ten percent of users log on from Canada. Israel and Germany complete the top four countries for the most my.umich.edu logins.

“I regularly use the site to check my email,” said Alexander Acemyan, a an engineering freshman student. “I also use the site to check my phone bill and post classifieds. I like that I can accomplish all of that on one website. It is a little slow, but it is not too bad.”

Lindsay Boynton, a second-year Medical student, used my.umich.edu during the summer but stopped when she returned to the University.

“I used the site over the summer to check my e-mail at work, where I didn”t have access to telnet,” Boynton said. “Now that I am back to school, though, I use telnet because I just like it better. my.umich.edu was really nice to have over the summer though.”

The site”s busiest hours are from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., while its least busy hours are 3 a.m. to 7 a.m.