Near the beginning of the second period, for a short time, Yost Ice Arena was deep in the heart of Texas.

Salam Rida/Daily
Greg Pateryn and Mac Bennett walk Chris Brown back to the bench during the Ohio State game on Saturday, February 12, 2011. Michigan won 2-1.
Salam Rida/Daily
Senior Goalie Shawn Hunwick and Senior Forward Scooter Vaughan celebrate their win against Ohio State at Yost on Saturday, February 12, 2011. Michigan won 2-1.

Just a minute into the second period of the Michigan hockey team’s 2-1 win over Ohio State, sophomore forward Chris Brown, the Flower Mound, Texas native, banged home the thirteenth-ranked Wolverines’ second goal. It was Brown’s second goal in as many nights and his sixth of the year.

The Texas State Flag engulfed nearly a whole section and the band blasted the song “Deep in the Heart of Texas.” It would prove to the game winner as Michigan extended its winning streak in Yost to nine games — the longest stretch of its kind since the 2004-05 season.

In the first, freshman Luke Moffatt got a puck past Buckeye goaltender Cal Heeter after the Wolverines dominated from the outset. Moffatt came down on a rush with sophomore forward A.J. Treais, who had the puck. As both defenseman converged on Treais, he dished it to Moffatt. The Paradise Valley, Arizona native sent a backhand past Heeter’s glove.

On a winter night in Ann Arbor, it was the Wolverines from the Sun Belt who were shined the brightest on the night.

Ohio State mounted a comeback near the end of the period. With Michigan on the power play a turnover at the Ohio State blue line led to a Cory Schneider breakaway goal on the other end.

In the third, Brown had was called for a check-from-behind. The hit in Ohio State’s corner earned Brown a five minute penalty and a game misconduct. With Moffatt serving the five minutes as Brown went to the locker room the Buckeyes saw their opportunity.

After a save by senior goaltender Shawn Hunwick, the puck squirted out to the left of him. An Ohio State forward was there and thought all he had to do was tap it in. Hunwick slid over to and got his skate on the puck, sending it wide.

It would be the last high-quality scoring chance the Buckeyes would have until a rush with a minute and a half left. But Hunwick was up to the task again challenging and making the save. After senior forward Louie Caporusso missed a shot on the empty net, the Buckeyes came down back down and forced Hunwick to step up again.

A pass left a Buckeye with time in the slot, Hunwick stayed deep in his net and gobbled up the shot with his glove. That was Michigan would need as time winded down, leaving it with a two-game win streak just after losing three straight.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *