After leading the Michigan football team to a 10-2 season, Michigan coach Brady Hoke was named the Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year and and the Dave McClain Coach of the Year on Wednesday.

“It’s a great honor, it’s humbling and all those things,” Hoke said in a video released by the Athletic Department. “But there are so many people involved with awards, whether it’s the Heisman Trophy or the balloon toss, it’s one of those things that (goes to) … everyone who assists us in the football program.

“That’s an award for everybody.”

Hoke inherited a 7-5 team from former coach Rich Rodriguez in January and, with the help of offensive coordinator Al Borges and defensive coordinator Greg Mattison, transformed the Wolverines into a conference contender. This season’s Michigan team collected its first-ever 8-0 record at Michigan Stadium.

“He deserves (Big Ten Coach of the Year),” said senior captain David Molk of Hoke on Monday. “I love him. He’s a great coach. He’s a great mentor. He’s a great friend. He’s every single thing you want a college coach to be and he does it flawlessly.”

Hoke was the first Michigan coach since Fielding H. Yost in 1901 to win 10 games in his first season. Hoke was also just the fifth Big Ten coach to win 10 games or more in his first season as coach, joining Wisconsin’s Bret Bielema (12-1, 2006), Ohio State’s Earle Bruce (11-1, 1979), Yost (11-0, 1901) and Minnesota’s Henry Williams (10-0-2, 1900).

“It’s always good when your program receives recognition,” Hoke said. “It’s good for everybody.

“Anytime you get to be around 115 guys and any time you get to represent the winningest program in the history of college football and the global degree that it is, it’s always fun.”

Hoke is no stranger to Coach of the Year honors, as this is his third selection in four seasons. He was named Mountain West Coach of the Year at San Diego State last season and Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year at Ball State in 2008.

Hoke is just the sixth first-year coach to win the McClain Coach of the Year award, which dates back to 1972. This is the inaugural awarding of the Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year, named after Ohio State’s Woody Hayes and Michigan’s legendary coach Bo Schembechler.

The only thing Hoke missed in his first season at the helm was a Big Ten title — that award will be given to the winner of Michigan State and Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game in Indianapolis on Saturday.

Under Hoke, Michigan went 6-2 in Big Ten play. It took former coach Rich Rodriguez three full seasons to collect that many conference wins, and this season the Wolverines are poised for a potential BCS-bowl bid.

Does a 10-2 season, a bowl game and this award make this season a complete success?

“Well, no, because we didn’t win the (Big Ten) championship,” Hoke said. “I think we made some growth. I think those guys playing their last football representing Michigan, I think they did a tremendous job.

“But the expectation here is to win Big Ten championships, and we didn’t do it. So, we’ve gotta get ready after this bowl game and win it next year.”