BLOOMINGTON — It was the same story on the boards on Sunday, but it turned out a bit different for the Michigan women’s basketball team.

The Wolverines have often had trouble clearing the glass this season, being outrebounded in 18 of its 27 games. But this weekend, junior center Rachel Sheffer had a career-high day rebounding, and she effectively limited Indiana’s post players.

Sheffer recorded her second career double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds. She was well on her way to a game-high performance at the end of the first half, when she had eight points and eight rebounds.

But most of her damage was done in the second half. Sheffer came out of the locker room energized, scoring a quick layup and grabbing two quick rebounds to help Michigan open the second half on a 9-0 run.

Sheffer was up against two Hoosier bigs in the post: 6-foot-6 Quaneisha McCurty and 6-foot-4 Sasha Chaplin. She was able to put up a majority of the Wolverines’ points in the paint and hold the duo to just five points.

Michigan coach Kevin Borseth noted how Indiana plays a tough, physical game down low and said that his team did a better job battling inside in the second half.

“Rachel — obviously her numbers speak for themselves — shot 7-for-15 from the floor,” Borseth said. “And of course her rebounding on the other end of the court (was a factor). She’s dealing with not just one (player). They put two or three rotating kids on her. Rachel kind of single-handedly battled them.”

Though Sheffer controlled much of the second-half offense for the Wolverines, senior guard Courtney Boylan was in control of the game during the first stanza.

Boylan broke into double digits with 7:36 to go in the first half and led all scorers with 11 points at the end of the half. Though she’s been relatively quiet of late, Boylan broke back into her normal role, running the offense and taking her open looks.

She settled down in the second half, finishing with 14 points on 4-of-9 shooting and knocking down 50 percent of her 3-point attempts.

One of the reasons why Boylan was so efficient was that she handled the ball cleanly — she didn’t have a single turnover while dishing out five assists, many to Sheffer in the paint.

“We work well together,” she said. “I think just being upperclassmen, we know what more needs to be done.”

Though Boylan was a factor on offense, she saw less floor time than normal, playing for only 27 minutes. Freshman guard Brenae Harris relieved Boylan for the time she was out. Borseth went to Harris because of the physical toll that extended minutes over the course of the season will do to a player.

“Sometimes you grind (Boylan) so much,” Borseth said. “I know in Nebraska she was begging to come out. After a while it wears on you, so I think we have to be a little smarter with time management … 40 minutes in this league, it’s really demanding on the body as well as the mind.”

Regardless of their exhaustion, Boylan and Sheffer played through the physical game and came out on top, lifting Michigan to its first win at Assembly Hall in nine years.