Dylan Bosch has taken the swimming world by storm, earning Big Ten Freshmen of the Week honors this week after competing in his first meet with the Michigan men’s swimming and diving team.

Hailing from Johannesburg, South Africa, Bosch has been swimming for as long as he can remember. Swimming has become routine, but being away from his tight-knit family certainly has not. To combat his bouts of homesickness in his first few months nearly 8,500 miles away from home, Bosch keeps in close touch with his parents and brother.

In addition to the daily phone calls with his family, there are his teammates, coaches and “awesome” roommates who have helped Bosch adjust to his new life. There are no true college towns in South Africa, so for Bosch, coming to Ann Arbor has been a completely new experience, he said.

Bosch said competing with the men’s swimming and diving team in an environment where everyone is working toward a common goal in life has been very helpful for him.

“The training has been keeping me busy, and school is not a joke,” Bosch said. “I think the most important thing is to keep your mind off the negative things.”

The team has been crucial to Bosch’s acclimation to Ann Arbor. Junior Kyle Duckitt, another Johannesburg native, has also been instrumental in making Michigan feel like home for Bosch. Nevertheless, Michigan has still been quite an adjustment for Bosch, who admitted that he did not know the magnitude of what he was getting himself into when he signed on to be a Wolverine.

“Training-wise, it has been very tough,” Bosch said. “I was actually shocked when I walked into the training facility for the first time. It is something that you will never see in South Africa.”

Yet, all of these hurdles did not hinder Bosch from dominating in his first performance as a Wolverine at Canham Natatorium in Michigan’s season-opening dual meet against Wisconsin. Bosch finished in first place in the 100-yard butterfly, with a time of 48.93 and in the 200-yard butterfly finishing in 1:46.77.

In his second meet, this time against another Big Ten opponent in Minnesota, Bosch again won the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 1:47.04.

Though it might seem that he is focused solely on the pool, Bosch is a man of many different crafts. He is enrolled in the School of Kinesiology but said he plans to apply to the Ross School of Business next semester. Bosch classifies himself as a people person who wants to succeed in everything he does, especially in swimming.

“The team is one really big project working towards one big goal,” Bosch said. “Now, I just want to contribute to the team and help us win a Big Ten Championship.”

While he might admit that he misses his family, coaches and teammates back home, Bosch certainly is starting to seem at home at Michigan.