If there’s anyone who struggles to rebound from a wrist injury, it’s a tennis player.

Wrist injuries are especially difficult to work through, because forehand and service strokes are sensitive to slight wrist movements.

For Michigan’s Andrew Mazlin, coming back from wrist surgery right before the start of the season has been a challenge.

He joined less than half of the Wolverine men’s tennis team to travel to South Bend in a tune-up for the dual-match season.

Mazlin went 1-for-3 for the weekend, with his best performance coming in a win over Illinois’ Connor Roth, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2. But the tournament was more than wins and losses for Mazlin.

It was his first match play since the November surgery.

“He’s not real confident in a lot of things just yet, especially in his forehand and serve,” Maymi said. “Mentally, he’s still a little all over the place because he hasn’t played a bunch of matches since he’s been back here in Michigan.”

Mazlin said his biggest weapon prior to surgery was his serve, a tool he hopes to improve over the next few weeks.

“He’s rebounding pretty well, and I have no doubt that when the first dual match comes around, he’ll be full-throttle and full-force,” said Bruckman.

Two other juniors made the trip to the Mary Davis Memorial Shoot-Out tournament this weekend. Scott Bruckman and Peter Aarts teamed up for doubles play as well as singles, while Mazlin played solely in the singles draw.

More relaxed than the other individual tournaments the team has competed in this season, many of the participating schools looked to the round-robin structure as a warm-up for the upcoming season.

“Every time you play a tournament, you want to get something out of it,” Michigan assistant coach Sean Maymi said. “For each individual guy, it was different.”

Doubles partners last year, Bruckman and Aarts combined for the first time this season. Both used the tournament to prove themselves and shoot for a shot in the lineup.

The doubles team lost both its matches – each against Notre Dame. But Bruckman and Aarts picked up victories in singles.

Next weekend, the entire Michigan team travels to Durham, N.C., to play another round-robin tournament. Michigan looks to the Duke Invitational as another chance to get match play experience before the dual-match season begins in two weeks.