When asked on Monday before practice who was the last team Michigan beat, guard Dion Harris was at a loss. The sophomore put his hands behind his head and couldn’t recall the team. After several moments, one of the reporters gave him a hint — the same team he will face tonight.

“Is it Penn State?” Harris asked.

It’s not surprising that Harris wasn’t sure. It’s been 40 days and 10 losses since the Wolverines won a game. The win came in State College against the Nittany Lions on Jan. 15. Since that time, Michigan (3-10 Big Ten, 12-15 overall) has seen its postseason chances go from being on the NCAA Tournament bubble to currently being on the NIT bubble. As it stands right now, the Wolverines will either need to win the rest of their regular season games or make a run in the Big Ten Tournament in two weeks to meet the NIT’s requirement of a .500 record or better.

Michigan coach Tommy Amaker indicated that he has not been emphasizing just Penn State this week in practice, but all three remaining Big Ten games. This is a new approach from the coaching staff, which has not looked past the upcoming game in the past.

“We’re trying to give them an outlook that’s postseason possible,” Amaker said. “There’s still opportunities along the way, and, hopefully, the first one is (tonight). If we’re fortunate to get things rolling, we’ll put ourselves in a position to be postseason eligible.”

Amaker hopes that by focusing on the bigger picture rather than just on Penn State (1-11, 7-18), it might provide a spark that can put Michigan back in the win column. He admitted that he has tried various approaches to end the losing streak and was willing to look at the next three games to help motivate his players.

Sophomore Brent Petway feels that, once a team gets on a losing streak, it is easy to believe that nothing can pull it out, and the players need to recognize the danger of the situation.

“We can’t get comfortable losing,” Petway said. “People can’t make an outside assessment of this team as we’re not a full-strength.”

Playing the remaining three games against the three teams Michigan has already defeated in Big Ten play might help prevent a losing mindset. Thanks to an interesting schedule quirk, the Wolverines face Penn State, Northwestern and Iowa to close the regular season — the reverse order they faced the same teams to open conference play. Harris hopes that those previous victories will carry over into success in the rematches.

“We’re more confident when we’ve had success against teams earlier in the year,” Harris said. “That’s how we feel with these three games coming up. We know it’s not going to be easy, but (previous wins against these teams) allow us to have confidence in ourselves.”

For all the hardships and injuries this season, it appears that Harris and his teammates haven’t written off this season yet, and they remain certain that there is still fight left in this team.

“We still believe we can get wins this year,” Harris said. “The season isn’t over.”