Some teams lose their composure and confidence after a dramatic loss. But the Michigan women”s track team (1-1) will try to use last week”s defeat in Indiana as a positive experience when it hosts the 22nd annual Red Simmons Invitational tomarrow at the Indoor Track Building.

Sophomore Melissa Bickett understands that a loss is never good, but sometimes there are other circumstances that can alter the results.

“We had a lot of injuries and still competed really well,” Bickett said. “Indiana is a team that was talking about their abilities in relation to a national title. If this is true, we lost to a great team by one point while we had injuries.”

The meet will be non-scoring, and will include Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan and Michigan State.

The Wolverines took first-place finishes in five of 10 events at this invitational last season, led by seniors Ursula Taylor, who won the 600-meter run, and Tasha Phillips, who won the 60-meter hurdles. Both will try to repeat tomarrow.

In its heart-breaking loss to the Hoosiers, Michigan was once again paced by April Phillips, who won the shot-put with a NCAA provisional qualifying toss of 51-feet, eight-and-a -half inches. Phillips also broke her own week-old record in the weight throw by nine inches.

Junior Rachel Sturtz continued her dominance in the 800-meter run when she won the event in Indiana. This marked the second consecutive victory in the event for Sturtz, who also won at the Jack Harvey Invitational. She will look to equal the mark she has set for herself by winning last year”s indoor and outdoor 800-meter run in the Big Ten Championships and the first two events of the new year.

Michigan also had a breakout in Indiana when heralded freshman Sharifa Jones competed in her first conference meet. Jones, a budding multi-event star, had four third-place finishes en route to an eight-point day.

The Wolverines stiffest challenge at the Red Simmons Invitational should come from Michigan State (1-0), which is coming off a successful season-opening meet at Central Michigan. The Spartans, who captured three first-place finishes while tuning up for the Wolverines, are led by All-America senior Ann Somerville and sophomore Michelle Carson.