After making the NCAA Tournament in three out of the last four years, the Michigan volleyball team (8-8 Big Ten, 12-11 overall) is in danger of failing to earn a berth this season.

But there is one bright spot for the Wolverines they control their own destiny. If they win at least three of their last four games, they qualify for the tournament. Michigan needs two to even be considered for selection to the Tournament.

Teams across America will wait to hear their names called during the selection show, but most of the teams already know if they have met the requirements to be in the tournament.

“In general, I think the things (the selection committee) looks at are significant wins and significant losses,” coach Mark Rosen said. “You have to maximize your significant wins and minimize your significant losses.”

Michigan”s up-and-down season has been highlighted by both significant wins and significant losses. The Wolverines have knocked off top-25 teams in Minnesota and Penn State, but Michigan has also lost some matches it should have won, such as those against Iowa and Northwestern.

“The match at Northwestern didn”t look very big at the time, because they were playing well,” Rosen said. “But things have changed since then.”

When the Wolverines played the Wildcats, Michigan fell in five games. Since beating Michigan and Michigan State in the same weekend, the Wildcats have been dismal, defeating only Indiana and Big Ten cellar-dweller Purdue.

The Wolverines have also played spoiler against a few Big Ten teams this season wins over Michigan State, Minnesota and most recently Penn State should earn the Wolverines respect in the eyes of the selection committee.

The Wolverines” have a good chance for significant victories this weekend, when they travel to face No. 14 Penn State and No. 9 Ohio State. Michigan swept the Nittany Lions at home on Oct. 20, after having their perfect home record snapped by the Buckeyes the previous evening.

“We have to win two of the last four to even be considered, and at least one would be a significant win,” Rosen said.

The Wolverines will not settle for just two wins in the last four. They know that with three victories, they can pack their bags and kneepads and begin preparing for the tournament.

“We win three of the final four (games) and it is a done deal,” Rosen said.