It’s said that no one remembers who came in second.

But for some members of the Michigan women’s swimming and diving team, the Big Ten Championships will be memorable for their individual performances.

After the second day of the three-day championships, held at Minnesota’s University Aquatic Center the Wolverines were in third place behind eventual champion Indiana and Penn State. The third day began with sophomore Emily Brunemann swimming to a school record of 16:10.70 in the 1,650-yard freestyle, good for second place.

Two events later, senior Lindsey Smith won the 100-yard freestyle, allowing Michigan to be in contention for second place overall going into the final race of the meet. The race, the 400-yard freestyle relay, was almost a sure thing for the Wolverines. But would it be enough to pass Penn State?

Smith swam the anchor leg of the race, as she, senior Kaitlyn Brady, freshman Margaret Kelly and sophomore sister Hannah Smith won the race a full second ahead of Indiana’s relay team. The Penn State relay was disqualified, and the Wolverines were able to vault them to second place overall.

“It is a nice way to end my Big Ten career with a great meet,” said Smith, who won Swimmer of the Championships.

Smith was on the winning side of four races at the three-day event, taking individual titles in the 100- and 200-yard freestyle and contributing to the winning relays in the aforementioned 400-yard freestyle. She also won the 200-yard freestyle with the same teammates.

All four members of the relay teams were named first-team All Big Ten swimmers.

The championships began with the four swimmers winning the 200-yard freestyle relay, a victory that helped Michigan lead the competition after the first day.

On the second day, Brady and Smith repeated as Big Ten champions. Brady also defended her title in the 100-yard butterfly.

Smith won the 200-yard freestyle for the fourth straight year, becoming the only swimmer in Big Ten history to win the race all four years of their career.

“It is kind of scary up in that position because everyone wants to take you down, but I am happy I could do it one more time,” Smith said.

The divers didn’t fare as well as the swimmers. No Wolverine won an event, and the best finish was a second from junior Elyse Lee on the 1-meter board. Still, they seemed pleased with their overall performance.

“We scored over 80 points, which is the most I have scored as a team since I have been at Michigan,” Michigan diving coach Chris Bergere said.

While her coach praised Michigan, Lee pdid the same for her opponent in the 1-meter.

“Christine (Loukas) is expected to win,” Lee said. “She is an all-world diver so getting second is more than anything I can ask for.”

The divers would never finish as well the rest of the meet. In the three-meter, the best finish for Michigan was Lee’s seventh place. In the platform diving, top billing belonged to junior Katie Skendrovic (sixth).