EAST LANSING – The Michigan women’s golf team opened its season this weekend at the Mary Fossum Invitational. The Wolverines went into the tournament with hopes of finishing in the top three. After the first 36 holes were played on Saturday, Michigan was well within striking distance. Despite being in 10th, the Wolverines were just five strokes behind second place.

Mira Levitan
Michigan senior Laura Olin reads a putt from the rough. (DANNY MOLOSHOK/Daily)

The Wolverines were able to move up yesterday, but did not finish as high as they had hoped, finishing tied for sixth with Notre Dame.

Michigan coach Kathy Teichert was disappointed in the Wolverines’ performance, considering the talent they displayed at times. The coach cited an inability to finish rounds well enough and poor short play as their biggest issues.

“For some of the girls, their short game wasn’t as good as it could be,” said Teichert.

Sophomore Amy Schmucker (77-77-82 – 236), was tied for 19th at 10-over par after two rounds, but shot ten over yesterday.

She started the round off well, going just 1-over par for the first nine holes, thanks to several amazing sand shots. But the last few holes, her putting and short game cost her several strokes.

“I made a lot of mental errors that cost strokes for the team,” said Schmucker.

Freshman Brianna Broderick (81-79-74 – 234) shot the Wolverines’ low round and lowest overall score, ending tied for 21st.

Despite their disappointing performance, the Wolverines remained in high spirits. Scores in the low 80s didn’t keep senior Courtney Goebel (81-83-84 – 248) from laughing over the Wolverines’ oddly colored uniforms.

Instead of the traditional maize and blue, the Wolverines sported slightly off-blue polo shirts.

“Go Mint!” Goebel said as the team waited for the award ceremony.

Also competing were junior Laura Olin (75-82-78 – 235), senior Sarah Kruer (81-82-81 – 244), and freshman Ali Stinson (80-76-81 – 237).

Teichert felt part of the problem was the lack of competition over the first month of the season. She is confident, though, that as the season progresses and the Wolverines gain more competitive experience, they will perform better .

“We have a lot more talent then our scores indicate,” said Teichert.

The team hopes for a better outcome next week, as it heads down to Ohio State to compete at the Lady Northern Intercollegiate.